• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reasonable Explaination - SACAGAWEA Experts - Are there any?

7 posts in this topic

Just curious if anyone knows WHY the 2005 business strikes P&D are so outlandish in MS67 and I have not seen any higher on any of the auction arenas ?? Were they incredibly bad as I see only 12 coins that are higher than my 67's

m

sig.jpg

One problem is thast since the Mint creates so few SAC dollars that they try to save money by not using as many dies as possible. By pushing the limit on the dies, the busieness strikes after the first 50-100 are not as strong. Another issue is that the magnesium-brass compound used for the planchets makes the planchets more rigid than the copper-coated tin of the cent or the cupro-nickel of the nickle and clad coinage. These planchets wear the dies a little quicker.

Not only are a limited of SAC dollars are graded, but we never know where those first die strikes end up. The best coins could end up in uncirculated sets and never graded. Or they may end up in bags or rolls that are either shipped to places like the Postal Service, who uses it for change in the vending machines. Bags that are purchased by dealers for re-sale are subject to "damage," like bag marks, from just being handled.

Since the actual supply is low and the opportunity to find first die strikes are lower than other circulated coins, it is not surprising that finding MS-67+ SAC dollars are difficult to find.

I hope that helps with your understanding of the issues.

Scott hi.gif

My UNderstanding is that ROLLS and Bags are the business strikes NO ??

Correct!

Another reason that high-grade business strikes will be harder to find is due to the Mint using "slightly" worn satin-finish dies for the business strikes. Many of these dies still have a useful life (by Mint standards) but are often heavily abraded. This causes some areas of the coins to be bright-and-shiny while other areas have a satiny appearance. Overall, the coins look terrible. I would think that the most opportune time to get high-grade business strikes from bags and/or rolls from the Mint would be very early in the production and release. Otherwise, many of the coins will have been produced from worn SMS dies.

Chris