• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I bought my first slabbed coin...

31 posts in this topic

on September 26, 1992. I was at a coin show in Chattanooga TN which was one of the bigger shows that I had been to at that point. I pretty much missed out on the run-up of the late 80's since I had gone back to graduate school and had no money to spend. By around 1991 I had paid off my student loans, bought a house and was starting to have a bit of extra money to spend. I didn't buy many coins back then and this was one of my bigger purchases. I paid $120 for this coin and it's actually worth a bit more than that today, only 14 years later. I guess I could have done worse.

Who else has their first slab ever purchased?

1451816-1865_1slab.jpg

1865_1s.jpg

1451816-1865_1slab.jpg.edc40c12ece3427af0752041b6032f89.jpg

My first slab was given to me by my Daddy in April when I got my SAT scores back!

It is an MS-62 1880-S Morgan Dollar in an older ANACS holder. smile.gif

-Amanda

Nice two center!

I don't remember my first slab per se, but I do remember the first toner I bought, circa 1990. It was a PCGS rattler Mercury in MS66FB, and I still own it.

My first was an 1836 EF45 ANACS Bust half from the late '90's. Cracked it when I got it (not knowing or caring much about slabs at the time). Recently I attributed it as an O-120 and submitted it to NGC (now I have more of an appreciation for slabs) and it came back as an AU-53. One day I hope to be able to post a pic...

I purchased a 1926-D SLQ in a first generation PCGS holder in 1994 that was graded MS63. The coin was nice, had tons of flash and looked all day long like an MS64. I cracked it out of the holder and eventually traded it for a superb MS65 1936-S WQ.

Now thats exactly what I posted about the other day.....Thats a sweet coin RGT. thumbsup2.gif

I can't seem to remember the first slabbed coin I ever bought... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I just remembered..It was a 1999 proof silver quarter set off of Ebay.

Pr 69W UCAM Still have them ( they will be my daughters eventually) and I remember paying $69.00 for them....( and thinking I paid too much for them).

Mine was a 1878 CC in a old ANACS holder that graded at AU scatched net EF45 first time I saw two grades on a coin in a holder. I will probably always have this coin, Thought about sending to NCS for new holder but Have so many others I want to send in that havent been graded I just cant decide.

Mine was a 1878 CC in a old ANACS holder that graded at AU scatched net EF45 first time I saw two grades on a coin in a holder. I will probably always have this coin, Thought about sending to NCS for new holder but Have so many others I want to send in that havent been graded I just cant decide.
Do you have any pics....I love to check out old slabs.

I think that the older slabs are the most educational tools we haveand I will blow right by any of the newer slabs to check them out.

I'll chime in on this topic. My first slab was a ms64 pcgs Bridgeport.paid in 1998 $75. it's still part of my colection ..the pics of the coin are in my registry.I can't get the image to post here.

My first slab was given to me by my Daddy in April when I got my SAT scores back!

-Amanda

Amanda,

You got 1880 on your SATs. Great score.

My first slab is my avatar which I purchased in the 90's. I'll try to pull out the receipt and a better photo of it and post soon. --Jerry

-Amanda

Amanda,

My first slab is my avatar which I purchased in the 90's. I'll try to pull out the receipt and a better photo of it and post soon. --Jerry

Hi Jerry, welcome to this side of the street! smile.gif

I did better than 1880 on my SAT, though. They made it be out of 2400 now!

-Amanda

-Amanda

Amanda,

Hi Jerry, welcome to this side of the street! smile.gif

I did better than 1880 on my SAT, though. They made it be out of 2400 now!

-Amanda

Ooops. I guess I'm showing my age. How long has that been? I remember when 1590 would get you into a pretty good school.

I'm still lurking over here and reading the room. Every board has their own attitudes and you don't make friends by accidently offending people.

I forgot to mention that 1880 is the year my grandfather was born--Feb 29, 1880. He died in 1963, a year before his 21st birthday. So I've got my eye open for an 80 morgan that I like even though Morgans aren't an area of interest to me.

--Jerry

Howdy Jerry, it seems that sometimes here the only way you can hope to continue a thread is to purposefully offend someone. wink.gif By the way, are you sure you have the events correct in this statement? wink.gif

I forgot to mention that 1880 is the year my grandfather was born--Feb 29, 1880. He died in 1963, a year before his 21st birthday.

Howdy Jerry, it seems that sometimes here the only way you can hope to continue a thread is to purposefully offend someone. wink.gif By the way, are you sure you have the events correct in this statement? wink.gif

I forgot to mention that 1880 is the year my grandfather was born--Feb 29, 1880. He died in 1963, a year before his 21st birthday.

Tom,

I'm pretty sure. I would have been six going on 7 in 63, now that I think about it, he may have died in 62, two years before his 21st birthday.

--Jerry

Howdy Jerry, I am certain it is only my confusion setting in, but you have now officially lost me with the birthdates and years of age mentioned in your two posts in this thread. confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gifthumbsup2.gif