• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1886 Morgan toner

7 posts in this topic

I like it! It's got those stretchmark things too, which I'm kinda fond of.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gifI have never heard of anyone fond of stretchmarks before. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I can't remember what they are called... probably not stretchmarks. It's where the white shadows of the outer devices seem to radiate outward, and it infers, but does not guarentee originality.

Tom 893naughty-thumb.gif

I like it! It's got those stretchmark things too, which I'm kinda fond of.

Thank you guys for the kind remarks.

The stretchmark "things" (I believe that is a technical term wink.gif) are actually a harder area on the coin created when the die caused excessive pressure on the planchet, essentially stretching and stressing the metal more than on other areas of the coin. These marks are only seen going out from the devices and towards the edge of the coin as this is what would be expected as the planchet is squeezed between the dies. Being harder it is more resistant to chemical reactions like toning.