• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A question about 2 cent pieces and grading.

6 posts in this topic

I have been thinking about starting to collect 2 cent pieces.

I have no real knowledge as far as grading them so I have been studying different auction sites to get a feel for different aspects of MS grades.

I was at heritage when I came across this auction and as I was studying the Pics I was taken aback by the rim. Is this a common thing for 2 cent pieces?

Or is this an Error of some sort.

in truth I find it rather disturbing and was wondering if this was the reason for the grade.

Any input is ,as always,Greatly appreciated.

Those are rim cuds and while they are not rare, they are not particularly common on two cent pieces. I don't think they affected the grade in any way. That coin is just a low end MS coin and not particularly attractive to me. 1864 is the most common date and easy to find ( I have six of them in MS). I would hold out for a nicer one.

Here's my only MS62 deuce, graded by ANACS. I generally prefer a bit higher grade but this is all I have come up with for this date yet.

1449282-1871.jpg

1449282-1871.jpg.38f9bd4a419302b83a0ad16ddde5400c.jpg

Thanks RGT, Of the three top TPG's who do you find nails it most consistantly?

For that matter is ICG comparable?

I am not looking for Extream or even High graded.64 or 65 would be fine.

And I am patient.As I am still learning I don't look at much raw material.

Thanks again for your input.

If there is anything else you think a novice in this series should know please feel free.

Thanks RGT, Of the three top TPG's who do you find nails it most consistantly?

For that matter is ICG comparable?

I think that the greatest inconsistency lies in the assessment of the BN, RB, and RD designations. To some degree, that's why I prefer brown pieces, as there is less ambiguity of their color and the TPGs mostly agree. Other than that, I simply prefer the look of brown copper over red in all copper series through 1909.

The upshot to all of that is that I think you'll find the 2 cent pieces all fairly evenly priced with a slight premium for the PCGS plastic due to registry competition and bias. There are great examples of these pieces, however, in all holders mentioned. Go with your personal instincts on appeal, particularly since there is great variety in the 2 cent series with respect to patterns and colors of toning.

Hoot

I agree with Mark. Most of mine are in NGC holders with a few ANACS. I don't have any in PCGS holders. That isn't because I don't like the way PCGS grades but just because they tend to be priced higher. I haven't noticed any significant difference in they way the top three grade. They all have some under and over graded coins. There are also plenty of ugly ones in all three holders. I don't own any ICG holders so I can't comment on them.

I have noticed that early ANACS holders tend to be a bit more liberal on the color designation. The 1871 I posted above was called RB by ANACS. I don't think they would call it RB today. Of course it could have turned more brown in the holder.

I also prefer most copper in brown or red-brown if the red blends in with the brown nicely. Some red-brown coins can be quite unattractive. Here's an ANACS MS63 RB that I think is attractive.

1449611-1869_2.jpg

1449611-1869_2.jpg.40df64cc0aea4d102a09cef715d7c4f9.jpg