• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone besides me collect Red Books?

9 posts in this topic

Just wondering if anyone knows a website of sellers who sell back issues.Most of what I need is in the early to mid ninties plus anything before 1958.Thanks in advance.

Do you collect them slabbed or raw?

I browse through them to see price trends, though prices are hard to track since grades changed so much between the 1940's and now.

nucks, I have several red books and don't plan on selling them, so I guess that qualifies me.

Slightly off topic, I bought my first "Bluebook" a few months back. What a waste of trees! If I could buy coins at the prices listed in that book, I'd quit my job and live off my auctions!

I have a first edition Red Book just because I think it's cool.

The trick in finding these early copies are those WITHOUT any writing in them.

Collectors back then would use the Red Book as a sort of check-off list and mark up the pages while doing so.

Clean copies are scarce.

It's also fun to stumble upon the older Red Book where the owner believes it is in poor shape due to the color of the cover. They were meant to be dark maroon and NOT 'red' back then but the Seller believes the cover is stained or faded dark.

nucks, I have several red books and don't plan on selling them, so I guess that qualifies me. Slightly off topic, I bought my first "Bluebook" a few months back. What a waste of trees! If I could buy coins at the prices listed in that book, I'd quit my job and live off my auctions!
I'm sure you know this but the Blue book is what you can expect the coin dealers to pay you for your coins.I've yet to see a dealers whip out a Blue Book (or Red Book for that matter) when buying or selling his/her coins.It's Greysheets every time.

I have a complete set of Red Books by edition. There are some varieties, and I don't collect those. They include two types of the first edition (Look at the footnote for the 1903-O silver dollar), some special books that were issued during the ANA conventions, and at least one assemlby error that was repeated enough times to make it collectable. It was missing one section of pages and had duplicates of another section.

I got "stuck" with one of those when I was a YN, but I did not hold on to it. I later sold it when I was trading around to complete my set.