• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Pair of Ferdinand I Thalers

7 posts in this topic

Here's a couple of Ferdinand I thalers added recently to my Hapsburg collection.

Thaler.jpg

This one is when Ferdinand was Roman King, heir apparent to the Emperor, as shown by the single headed eagle.

FerdIGuldentaler.jpg

This one was after becoming emperor and getting an extra head on his eagle.

Is that a phallic symbol?

No he used it to bonk the head of supplicants. However, the orb may have been used in some unnatural ways.

No he used it to bonk the head of supplicants. However, the orb may have been used in some unnatural ways.

Ah yes, I remember the orb scene from "Sleeper".

Cool thalers. Them Holy Roman emperor coins are great, except that they were neither holy nor Roman. confused-smiley-013.gif

Cool thalers. Them Holy Roman emperor coins are great, except that they were neither holy nor Roman. confused-smiley-013.gif

After 1647 it wasn't really an empire either. confused-smiley-013.gif

Did they win something for having the most improperly named political sphere of influence?

Did they win something for having the most improperly named political sphere of influence?

Yes, the scorn of Voltaire.