• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"1809 Half Cent Gold Plated to Pass as Gold Coin"

15 posts in this topic

From the picture, it looks like it may be potholed. May be cool to own if you can get it cheap enough though.

It's not as implausible as you might at first think. After all, Red Book gives one reason for Cents being added to the nickel was because of counterfeiters gold plating them and passing them off as $5 pieces. Therefore, it is not so far a leap to think it might have been done to a half cent. You would have to be pretty dumb to accept it, but you never know.

This reminds me of another question. Has anybody actually observed these gold plated nickels? I have never seen a picture of one, and am curious if this is a known fact or a myth like so many other coin stories.

This reminds me of another question. Has anybody actually observed these gold plated nickels? I have never seen a picture of one, and am curious if this is a known fact or a myth like so many other coin stories.

I saw one at my local show a few months back. It was fugly.

I saw one at my local show a few months back. It was fugly.

ZR 893whatthe.gif,,,Here's Mine

R.jpgRREV.jpg

I bought this years ago,,,Great history with this coin RN2.jpgR2.jpg

Yours is alot nicer than the one I saw...and it didn't come with all of the nice paperwork. I might have to find me one like yours, there is some cool history behind them.

I would expect that the piece with the paperwork is a recently plated coin. Those pieces that were plated contemporary with usage generally had reeded edges and much or most of the plating is now gone.