• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to Add Coins to a Dansco Album - Instructions

14 posts in this topic

Here's what I do to add a coin to my dansco albums:

1)

I take a can of compressed air such as 3M's Dust Remover compressed gas duster - it's not technically air (it releases gaseous 1,1-difluoroethane) but it hasn't damaged anyone's coins that I've ever heard of - and use the canned air to liberally blow around the front and back exterior sides of all of the ports connected with the slide you're going to remove.

2)

Put on your gloves. I wear neoprene lab gloves since I got a few free boxes, but cotton would be just as good. Wearing the gloves, gently press on the top slide with your thumb and slide it a little of the way out until you can grasp it by the end and pull it out.

3)

Use the canned air to blow out the interior of the ports to get any flecks of junk that was hiding under the slide. When using canned air, be very careful not to tilt or shake the can (especially if it's new or almost full) or you will end up spraying a stream of the liquid 1,1,difluoroethane onto the surface you're spraying. It'll evaporate, but it will cause atmospheric water to condense on the surface.

4)

With your port now cleaned out, gently place the coin in and push it in all the way against the back slide. This will put it below the plane of the top slide and prevent slide marks. Never open the bottom slide, or you may end up putting slide marks on the coin. To remove a coin, gently but firmly press up on the coin from outside the back slide and push it out the front of the page.

5)

Blow off the top slide (front and back) and get off any dust that may have gotten on it while you were working. Reinsert it and carefully slide it back into place. I like to give the whole page another quick dust-off with the canned air.

Canned air is your friend! It's also excellent at blowing off all that cardboard dust from new 2x2s.

893whatthe.gifDon't huff canned air, though - then your brain will die. I'm serious.

893whatthe.gifI certainly wouldn't recommend neglecting to replace the top slide as I've heard some folks suggest. That's asking for a heap of trouble.

If anyone has any comments on this procedure, please mention them. This question gets asked a lot. The above procedure is what I've come up with after trial and error and asking around.

The only other suggestion I would have it to lightly spray the port and don't shake the can of compressed air. If you press too hard, you will spay the accellerant in the port. I do not know if it will do anything to coins, so why take a chance. Also, if you shake the can, it will spray the accellerant, too.

I've used the compressed can air for years on computer equipment. I know the accellerant is bad for computers. I guess I approach using this stuff with my computer background in mind!

Scott hi.gif

I take a faster method. I place the album on a concrete surface, grease the slot with Cresco, place the coin in the slot and if it still wojn't go in, hit with a hammer. Other methods are to grind the edges of the coin with a bench grinder to make it small enough to go in the slot easier. smile.gifcrazy.gif

Just kidding of course. I use Whitman Classic Albums, have put coins in them with my bare hands for about 60 years. Never cleaned out a slot. All coins look as they did the day I put them into the Albums. Example is I have 10 Lincoln Albums all complete. MS coins put in 30, 40 or even 50 years ago still look the same. I guess it pays to be safe but I'm just to old to start now.

After starting my collections in Whitman folders, I "graduated" to Whitman Albums. But I do used compressed air to blow the lint and stuff out of the holes.

Scott hi.gif

Regarding use of the albums, be aware that it is easy to push the slides in too far, such that you can no longer grasp them by the edge (it being pushed too far into the cardboard page). If this happens, you would have to remove the slide by pressing down in an exposed area, which means on top of a coin! You never want to have to do this.

Therefore, it's a great idea to use scotch tape or similar to created "tabs" at the edge of the slides so they can be easily pulled out no matter how far they are inserted into the cardboard pages.

Regarding use of the albums, be aware that it is easy to push the slides in too far, such that you can no longer grasp them by the edge (it being pushed too far into the cardboard page). If this happens, you would have to remove the slide by pressing down in an exposed area, which means on top of a coin! You never want to have to do this.

Therefore, it's a great idea to use scotch tape or similar to created "tabs" at the edge of the slides so they can be easily pulled out no matter how far they are inserted into the cardboard pages.

You mean I'm not supposed to push them all the way in??? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

James, if this happens, you can use a pin or needle to extract the slide. Insert the pin at angle into the opening on the edge of the page so the point presses against the slide. Use the pin as you would a lever with the edge of the page acting as the fulcrum. Apply slight pressure while pushing on the opposite end of the pin/needle.

Chris

I would be wary of potential chemical release from scotch tape over the years - particularly volatile chems emanating from the adhesive. Old scotch tape gets brittle after several years, which has got to be due to some chemical change happening in the tape.

I can’t believe that I can’t figure this out, but I can’t figure this out. I’m trying to put a couple of coins in my Dansco 7070. Do I need to take the page out of the book first?

I can’t believe that I can’t figure this out, but I can’t figure this out. I’m trying to put a couple of coins in my Dansco 7070. Do I need to take the page out of the book first?

You don't need to take the page out of the book...

Slide the top piece of plastic to the right out of the page. Push the coin into the hole like it was a blue Whitman folder. Put the plastic back in where it came out. grin.gif

This may have been mentioned in another thread, but one thing you can also do is to wait untill you have all coins for each slide section to put them in.

Example: I have all coins for my Dansco 7070 half dollar section except for one coin. I keep these in flips until I get ALL of them, then there is only one slide removal and install, no chance to scratch them with multiple removals of the slide.

MM cool.gif