• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Do I Safely Crack a Coin out of a (non-NGC or PCGS) slab?

7 posts in this topic

In the spirit of buying the coin and not the holder, I purchased a beautiful 1981-S Type 2 SBA Dollar on a famous on-line auction site. Since it was in a holder for a third-party grading service few people have heard of (NAC Grading), I am sure it was a bargain! thumbsup2.gif

However, I want the coin, not this holder. What would be the best way to remove this coin without causing any damage?

THANKS!

Scott hi.gif

You should be able to wrap that holder in a towel and lay it on it's side againt a hard surface and whack it with a hammer. No joke the two halves should seperate pretty easily. Other options would be to place the coin in a vice and crack it that way. One final method would be bolt cutters....I use them on ANACS and NGC holder up towards the labels and have never had a problem.

Be 100% sure it is a Type-2 before cracking it out. "Clear S" means nothing on the 1981 and many dealers can't tell them apart, so I have no faith in this slabbing service.

Be 100% sure it is a Type-2 before cracking it out. "Clear S" means nothing on the 1981 and many dealers can't tell them apart, so I have no faith in this slabbing service.

I went to a dealer I trust to verify that it was a "Clear S" proof. He showed me the two types side-by-side (in PCGS slabs) to prove that it was a Clear S. I am confident. I just don't want this slab!

THANKS everyone!

Scott hi.gif

I went to a dealer I trust to verify that it was a "Clear S" proof. He showed me the two types side-by-side (in PCGS slabs) to prove that it was a Clear S. I am confident. I just don't want this slab!

THANKS everyone!

Scott hi.gif

If it's a type 2 you did Fantastac.....

thumbsup2.gif