• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm experimenting with image sizes in my registry sets

21 posts in this topic

I've figured out how to make my images LARGER but fewer bytes and have been loading them onto my registry sets. My question is, what is preferable to viewers? Larger or smaller pics?

Me personally, I like large clear images of the coin not the slab. I would say give it you best shot and capture the coins attributes and try to avoid revealing any negatives without doctoring the image. Make it look its best for your registry set. thumbsup2.gif

Could someone check the first two images in my bust half collection? The first (the 1808), I made LARGE, the second (the 1811) is smaller. Thanks.

Could someone check the first two images in my bust half collection? The first (the 1808), I made LARGE, the second (the 1811) is smaller. Thanks.

The larger size looks good but I somewhat favor the slighly smaller size, Mike. I also prefer a black background which serves to focus one's attention on the coin and not its surrounding.

Top notch photos and great collection!!!

Thanks for the input. Yes, I think the photos would be better a little smaller and I'm starting to adjust for that. I don't know how to do a black background yet. It's kind of hard for me to do all the handwork necessary to do the software maneuvers for the photos, but in time I'll get there. Thanks for the kind word on my photos, but I'm beginning to like them less and less and I'm getting more and more frustrated at taking photos, so I started to use photos by either the person I bought the coins from or the PCGS trueview. I feel like I'm cheating by doing such.

That is very much appreciated. I did try, and posted a pic on the coin board.

I am also trying to reduce all the pics to a width of 550 pixels so they don't overwhelm the page. Now, as I am doing this, the inadequacies of my photography are becoming irritatingly more and more evident.

Mike, Hope you don’t mind me using your thread. You got me working on mine. I have started with my 1921 Year Set.

This is a duplicate of the size I'm working with now.

1921s001obv597x597x300uj7.jpg

sig.jpg

Thanks Mike.

I thought it was about time to try and improve my images in it and would like to have some extra slots for display, I wouldn’t care about the points.

points are the last thing...in fact, I wouldn't even rank it last, it ranks ZERO, that I'd be concerned with, so I understand.

My only issue is when the coins get darker, the black background seems to envelop it

This looks much better with black than white background:

1475924-1842obverseB.JPG

1475926-1842reverseB.JPG

But this one seems to get lost:

1475940-1832obverseB.JPG

1475941-1832reverseB.JPG

I’m running in to the same problem with the dark coins. I’ll keep trying.

I think I will try tweak the exposure next. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

1837002obv550x550x15010gt2.jpg

1837005rev550x550x15010gp2.jpg

I tweaked the center of the black canvas with a blend of gold on this one.

1837002obv600x600x30020iw6.jpg

I'm thinking something green and something teal, as background which might be better for very dark (brown/black) coins.

no, my software doesn't do this..at least I can't figure out if it does.

I now see what you did with the background, and that's pretty darn good.

Try that one if you like.

The one above was created in Microsoft Picture It software which came with my computer.

In this program there is a paint fill bucket for the canvas color which I liked to have never found if it hadn’t been for Michael and Winston’s help.

And below the bucket is a button called Gradient which has different preset formats and options for different color combinations.