• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just in time. More PCGS drama.

33 posts in this topic

I think I speak for many here - and no offense intended toward you, Truth - but if I wanted to get involved or read about any of the drama across the street, I'd be ACROSS THE STREET reading it and not hanging out here instead.

I think I speak for many here - and no offense intended toward you, Truth - but if I wanted to get involved or read about any of the drama across the street, I'd be ACROSS THE STREET reading it and not hanging out here instead.

Well, maybe there are those who don't go across the street. Remember, there are others who might enjoy the link. If you are not interested, then don't read it. confused-smiley-013.gif

TRUTH

I found it an interesting read.

Having known someone who received a coin they did not submit (and the grading company wanted the coin back), switched coins by mistake do happen.

I found it an interesting read.

Having known someone who received a coin they did not submit (and the grading company wanted the coin back), switched coins by mistake do happen.

I knew a dealer whose coin got switched either by accident or intentionally at a grading service. In fact, a TPG accidentally "lost" a cheapie coin of mine on one occasion. They could not find it, but it was assumed it was shipped out in someone else's package. The TPG compensated me, so no worries.

TRUTH

Dennis,

This was a mechanical error, plain and simple. For you to make the leap directly to coins being switched is a surprising stretch, considering that there are several equally plausible explanations, all of which lack the dark implications that your conclusion implies.

I will not tolerate baseless accusations on this forum and I'm really close to banning you for this one.

I'm really shocked at the tone of comment above made by president of PCGS.

I got barred from posting on the PCGS threads for posting a post about the removal of the Open Forum.

No warning, nothing to say I had done something wrong, just a straight out barring.

Needless to say I have no time for PCGS anymore and all my referals will go to NGC.

I also send raw coins to both PCGS and NGC. I send me NGC coins 2 or 3 weeks after the PCGS coins. I have the NGC coins back but am still waiting for the PCGS coins.

Wow! Although this happened "across the street", I do think the scenario is applicable to third-party grading companies in general. Thanks for the link - I'm going to follow this one and see what he ultimate resolution is.

Wonder how NGC would handle a similar situation....

I had read this already and it is no wonder that the ChatRooms there have the repustation of being unkind and argumentative .. It comes from the top down. Mechanical error is a pile of BS .. yes if they sent in a 1901 coin but they did not, they sent in a 1904 coin so its NOT mechanical error but human error ...

I had read this already and it is no wonder that the ChatRooms there have the repustation of being unkind and argumentative .. It comes from the top down. Mechanical error is a pile of BS .. yes if they sent in a 1901 coin but they did not, they sent in a 1904 coin so its NOT mechanical error but human error ...

I agree, unless they have mechanical robots grading it would be human error. grin.gif

I just read through the entire thread one more time, a little more closely. As usual, a hundred post thread (or close to it) ends up having about five meaningful posts, and the rest is drivel sign-rantpost.gif.

But the key question I take from it is this: what can a submitter do to protect himself from such a "mechanical error"? I am sure a similar problem could occur with any TPG. Is taking photographs enough? After all, a shady submitter could photograph one coin and send in another, so I'm not sure that's a solution.

I don't know confused-smiley-013.gif. I've sent in less than ten coins in my entire life, so the issue never really occurred to me. I've always assumed that the grading company would "get it right" and not switch coins by accident, but after all, it's a manual human process, and people make mistakes.

I'd also be curious as to what kind of quality-control is in place to mitigate this type of problem. Perhaps someone from NGC would be kind enough to elaborate?

It's a long thread but if I understand correctly, the coin made it past four people (check points) and the error was not caught.

I'm sure they already are looking at the video of the submission package being opened. smile.gif

It's a long thread but if I understand correctly, the coin made it past four people (check points) and the error was not caught.

I'm sure they already are looking at the video of the submission package being opened. smile.gif

4 people,a recieving dept and a shipping dept....

4 people,a recieving dept and a shipping dept....

I find this thread to be one of the most important ever posted from across the street.

Especially when the Jack booted president starts to threaten the Masses.

Every new person in the hobby should be required to read it.

I do go over and browse and am always awed by the inane ramblings of the kool aide drinkers who's only postings are to bash All other TPG's and then pound thier chest and proclaim that PCGS is the best...

Well..Ignorance is bliss.....

Over here they seem to get it...... It's about the freakin COIN.

Thanks Truth for reminding me why I choose to stay over here.

PS,When Jay Turner or Mr Lange post over here it is to give insight and to help the board.

If you go to Who's Online on the top of the page,You will see them reading posts all the time...

thumbsup2.gif

James,

Quality Control is something I have often wondered about. I have had a number of experiences at NGC regarding mechanical errors of the most blatant nature. Just yesterday I re-submitted about 9 consecutively graded 2006 State Quarters that were all labeled as NEVADA. Not one was NEVADA! Also, I once had a 1935-S NGC-67 10C come back from the Re-holder service as 1872 20$ AU58! How does this happen?

With these NGC experiences in mind, I do not doubt that PCGS could have made a mistake, and I am surprised that they are so adamantly opposed to the notion.

NGC is very good about correcting there mistakes. They fix these things free of charge and even return shipping sometimes.

Let's see what we learned from that thread:

1) PCGS once again claims it never does anything wrong.

2) PCGS representative threatens board members.

3) Vast majority of posts in thread are useless.

Sounds like nothing really ever changes, does it?

jom

jom

This one didn't involve toning. yay.gif

I can fix that very easy. smile.gif

On a yellow gold piece, how?

jom

Gold coins have copper in them. smile.gif

jom

That's a good point about the copper. wink.gif

jom

And I know PCGS likes copper, but not gold too much. However, Ron Guth & I were able to laugh at Jom.

jom

And I know PCGS likes copper, but not gold too much. However, Ron Guth & I were able to laugh at Jom.

That was classic. cloud9.gif

Did those things ever get reholdreed?

Remember, if its not in PCGS plastic its not a PCGS coin and its not worth PCGS money. A wise man told me that once. Or maybe it was a stupid man, I can't quite recall. confused-smiley-013.gif

jom

Remember, if its not in PCGS plastic its not a PCGS coin and its not worth PCGS money. A wise man told me that once. Or maybe it was a stupid man, I can't quite recall. confused-smiley-013.gif

I think they're in ACG AU50 slabs now. confused-smiley-013.gif Maybe Jom can chine in and let us know.

Sounds like a stupid person who would say that. Let me guess, he has 30K posts ATS.

jom

I think they're in ACG AU50 slabs now. confused-smiley-013.gif Maybe Jom can chine in and let us know.

Sounds like a stupid person who would say that. Let me guess, he has 30K posts ATS.

fonzie.jpg

wallstreetman

Master Collector

You decide!

thumbsup2.gif

you know pen nazi it is a free country and truth can post what he wants to as long as it is coin related and this is an interesting cool thread that i am sure helped some with the link

if he wants to post a link here and not go to pcgs sounds good to me

flowerred.gif

puppy lives....you don't get the coin

puppy dies....you get the coin.

Just an extremely talented human being who put up that thread.

Jerry