• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This evenings purchase:

15 posts in this topic

Fields look a bit off, I hope it isn't polished. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I was thinking the same thing. Notice how they look a bit shiny. A coin of this grade should show luster, and not be reflective. After looking at hundreds of coins, you start to develop a sense of what looks right and what doesn't. This coin may be just fine, remember, pictures are very deceptive.

Really you can't tell from the photo but it wouldn't shock me if this coin has problems.

There seem to be numerous small scratches in the fields which end near the devices. That could be from some type of abrasive cleaning which couldn't reach into small crevaces. Also the high points of the portrait have a buffed look to them.

Again, I hope I'm wrong.

I have one very similar to Zar's and it too displays the same kind of proof-like surfaces. Mine is not cleaned or polished; I suppose it's either a very early die state or maybe came from proof dies (but I doubt it). In any case, I can't say if Zar's coin is polished or not.