• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question on submitting tokens and medals

20 posts in this topic

I am new to these boards and have a question on submitting tokens and medals for grading. Do these things have to be identified or is identification part of the service?

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks!

Welcome

I myself am unfamiliar with medals and tokens, however there are many on here who are and I’m sure someone will help you.

As long as they are ones that NGC will actually grade, you do not need to identify them. However, I'm sure they would very much appreciate it if you pointed them in the right direction.

Welcome to the neighborhood, SCD.

There are some tokens and medals that NGC will not grade, so you would be better served by posting specifics at "Ask NGC" . I have many French, Belgian and Swiss medals they won't grade. C'est la vie! I'm still waiting to hear about the update to the Hibler-Kappen book that the SCDCC has in the works. I have many medals that were issued after 1963 and I hope some of them will be in it.

By the way, have you seen the Pan Am Expo, HK289, NGC MS67 at "coins-tokens-medals" on eBay? $5,275.00 if you're interested.

Chris

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Chris,

Most of what I have are US medals and So-Called Dollars. Some of mine are "similar" to ones in the HK book, but are not quite the same.

I'll check out "Ask NGC".

That HK289 is way out of my league!

SCDHunter,

Welcome to the board. I collect So Called dollars also, so it’s good to have someone else here who collects these interesting medals.

Here are images of my HK-289.

1429994-1901HK-289pan-pacexpoobv.jpg1429997-1901HK-289pan-pacexporev.jpg

This piece is graded MS-66. I paid more then 15 times less for it about a year and a half ago then the asking price of that MS-67 piece so I guess I should feel like I got a bargain. grin.gif

In my opinion, this is especially so since there are three of these pieces graded MS-67 as of the current NGC census. wink.gif

John

One of the main reasons I started collecting SCDs is that I got priced out of some of my other collecting interests. One can pick up some nice examples at reasonable prices. At least for the time being. I hope this HK-289 is an anomaly and not a sign of things to come.

I hope this HK-289 is an anomaly and not a sign of things to come.

Well, I’m with you on that. Unfortunately however, I think it’s only going to get tougher to pick these medals up cheaply. From what I have seen since I began collecting SCD’s two years ago, they have defiantly become more popular and the prices have risen sharply.

On the other hand, a lot of these medals are truly rare and have populations much lower than most key date U.S. coins, so I guess in comparison the prices even at these levels can be considered reasonable.

John

I hope this HK-289 is an anomaly and not a sign of things to come.

Well, I’m with you on that. Unfortunately however, I think it’s only going to get tougher to pick these medals up cheaply. From what I have seen since I began collecting SCD’s two years ago, they have defiantly become more popular and the prices have risen sharply.

On the other hand, a lot of these medals are truly rare and have populations much lower than most key date U.S. coins, so I guess in comparison the prices even at these levels can be considered reasonable.

John

Berman (coins-tokens-medals) has some really nice pieces. He has been collecting SCD's for more than 20 years. Just about everything I've seen of his is graded by NGC, nobody else. He does have some raw specimens that are very nice, too. I've been able to acquire a few nice Pony Express SCD's graded MS64-66 and a raw MS64 Pan Am Expo from him at very, very reasonable prices. Granted, he is asking a ton of money for his high-end (MS67-68) specimens, but he is definitely not willing to part with them cheaply. Like me, he believes that when the updated version of the Hibler-Kappen book is released, there will be a renewed surge of interest in SCD's and the prices will start to go even higher.

Chris

During my internet searches, I found a site "socalleddollar.org", that references a new So-Called Dollar book. That site is completely dead! I thought it might be a temporary thing, but none of the links work and it does not appear that any attempt to fix it has occurred in the last six months.

Is this the book you refer to, or is there another effort going on?

Last year, at one of the west coast shows, the So-Called Dollar Collectors Club met and decided to update the H-K Book since nothing has been added since 1963. Again, some time this year, there was a brief mention of their continuing effort in Coin World or Numismatic News (?). You might try the SCDCC website for more information

www.socalleddollar.org

Chris

Chris,

That is the dead site that I am referring to.

Unless there is something wrong with my browser settings, it appears to be completely broken. When I click on most links, a message "empty page" is displayed.

The "Photo Gallery" link does produce a new page, but the links beyond that don't work. The latest photo appears to be from May, 2005.

As far as I can tell, it has been this way since I first tried about six months ago.

Does this site work for anybody here?

You can access the list of forums and the membership application, but that seems to be all. I've sent them an e-mail to see if I can learn anything about their status.

Chris

Berman (coins-tokens-medals) has some really nice pieces. He has been collecting SCD's for more than 20 years. Just about everything I've seen of his is graded by NGC, nobody else. He does have some raw specimens that are very nice, too. I've been able to acquire a few nice Pony Express SCD's graded MS64-66 and a raw MS64 Pan Am Expo from him at very, very reasonable prices. Granted, he is asking a ton of money for his high-end (MS67-68) specimens, but he is definitely not willing to part with them cheaply. Like me, he believes that when the updated version of the Hibler-Kappen book is released, there will be a renewed surge of interest in SCD's and the prices will start to go even higher.

Yes, I’ve known Bob for years, well before I even started collecting SCD’s. He has a table at the monthly Parsippany show that I attend and I talk to him there regularly.

He does have some nice pieces, and I have bought a few pieces from him, but he does price a lot of his pieces on the high side as he believes that based upon their rarity and the increasing interest in this area this is their true worth.

Fortunately for me, I also know another dealer who specializes in SCD’s who has at least as large an inventory of them as Bob does. I have had a great relationship with him for over 12 years and have been able to pick up some very nice pieces from him at prices that I consider to be very reasonable.

Bottom line is no one I know who is into SCD’s believes that the prices will remain at these levels. As they gain in popularity the prices will go higher to reflect their rarity.

John

Fortunately for me, I also know another dealer who specializes in SCD’s who has at least as large an inventory of them as Bob does. I have had a great relationship with him for over 12 years and have been able to pick up some very nice pieces from him at prices that I consider to be very reasonable.

John

John, does this dealer have a web site, and would you be willing to PM some information about him to me? I am still looking for certain pieces to fill some gaps.

Chris

Hey Chris,

Does Macy’s tell Gimbels? 893naughty-thumb.gif

I could tell you, but then I’d have to, well you know. wink.gif

Just kidding, PM sent. thumbsup2.gif

John