• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What kind of Error is this and will NGC grade it?

3 posts in this topic

What kind of Error is this and will NGC grade it?

there are some indentations on the obv, right below the chin and close to the neck, the look like outlines of the lettering on the revs., I just pulled them out of a obw roll. on the rev. there are a few outlines of lincolns head it seems that it might have been struck before the lettering was stuck cause it is under the "E" in "ONE" and the "N" in "CENT". I am not sure what type of error this is cause I am new to errors but could you please shed some light on this please I am including some pictures they are not great as I dont have a top of the line camera yet. but they should give you and idea as to what I am speaking of thanks,D.B.

1029xv1.jpg

1027su9.jpg

1028yr1.jpg

1023qa4.jpg

1024mb4.jpg

10291vb6.jpg

1025gz4.jpg

1026cv8.jpg

10261sm9.jpg

confused.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

Your piece looks to be Clashed Dies. This is caused when the dies come together with out having a coin planchet between them. The image is transferred back to the dies rather then what would have been a struck coin. It is fairly common and considered a normal part of coin production. NGC for the most part does not designate clashed dies. It would simply be called a 1958-D cent.