• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1971 Mint Set

5 posts in this topic

I recently won a bid for 1970 and 1971 mint set. I was only really buying it for the 70-D half dollar, but it abruptly occurred to me: 1971 was the first year for Ike dollars, but I don't see one in the mint set images (hasn't shipped yet). Did the mint not include it in the 71 sets and if so: why?

The packaging was already ordered before the plans for the Ike was finalized so they just left them out. In 1973 there were sufficient numbers in commerce that they didn't need them for circulation so they were finally added to the mint sets. The '79-S SBA is missing from the set for essentially the same reason... ...no room. There are no '82 or '83 mint sets and the '70 and '87 half dollars were all mint set only but both '87 issues also appeared in souvenir mint sets. The '81 SBA's are all three mint set only issues though a few from overproduced mint sets were added to the '80 production or sold to dealers at low prices. (~$1400 /bag)

'99 SBA's were not in sets either. Few varieties or special issues appeared in sets.

That should be about as clear as mud.