• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Charles Barber-- the Mint's most evil engraver?

10 posts in this topic

The more I read about Charles Barber and his attempts to quash replacements for his ugly designs, the more I'm convinced he was evil. What else besides evil could explain his opposition to beautiful and original designs from St. Gaudens, Pratt, Frasier, and others? By the time their designs had been turned into actual coins, Barber had reworked them enough that they were but a shadow of their original glory.

So was Barber really evil, or was he just inartistic, incompetent, or something else?

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Barber was difficult to work with, but that's largely because he was one of the few people involved in the creation of the 1907-16 designs who understood the technical limits of mass production coinage. The medallists who submitted high-relief models were completely unrealistic, while the Mint's administators were clueless and simply wanted to please President Roosevelt at any cost. It's a miracle that the coins as issued were as good as they were.

Barber's manner was somewhat abrupt and conceited, but one can sympathize with his position to a certain degree. The use of outside artists was a new phenomenon at the Mint, one that came late in his very long career. In researching my books, all of which concerned coin types introduced during Barber's tenure as chief engraver, I've gained a lot of respect for his technical skill, while at the same time sympathizing with anyone who had to cross paths with him.

I'll certainly acknowledge what David is saying, but Barber was a mud slinger too. He abused his position of power as much as he used it, and condescended heavily to those who challenged him, as if they were inferior.

As a scientist, I run across this kind of behavior frequently. It is more than defensive, it is repugnant. More often than not, it represents a fragility of knowledge and a central (to the human doing it) dogma. So it's easy to disdain the behavior of such individuals. (I know one or two of these types well. I like them as the quirky people they are after years of knowing them, but they step on toes all the time. I like pointing that out to them goodevil.gif. Barber should have had such friends.)

Hoot

i was going to post but i saw davids comments

so i guess for me i will sum it up like this with putting personalities aside i think barber was more competant and a better engraver and overall better person for the mint and for the business side of the mint than george t morgan

sincerely michael

and of course i am sure personality wise barber leaves much to be desired

Barber probably was a technically competent engraver, but he sured lacked artistic ability. My readings suggest he did everything he could to keep America's coinage bland.

I get a kick out of Barber's designs - the most male appearing versions of Liberty in U.S. history (Apollo? 27_laughing.gif) and the most diminutive eagle for the 50 and 25 cent pieces. He was an obvious fan of low relief. The technical aspects of his designs may have made for easier production and better stacking, but they lacked inspiration, especially of contemporary (for his time) artistic aesthetics.

Despite all that, I've seen a few Barber coins take on lovely appearances, although I went a little nutty with my description of my 1883 no cents nickel. goodevil.gif Just couldn't help myself. And no offense to admirers of Barber's designs - to each his own, and probably my loss.

Hoot

But Barber's work on the Pan Pac 50c and $ 2.50 is rather nice, isn't it?

(although I must also confess that I think his regular series coins were a nice brief interlude between the seated liberty design and the twentieth century. The reverse of the Barber 50c/25c is a real period piece -- how can you look at it and not think William Jennings Bryan)

Personally, I think the Liberty head on Barber dimes, quarters, and halves is quite attractive in Mint State or Proof. The problem is, coins in those grades are few and far between. In lower grades it does take on an unattractive masculine look.

while at the same time sympathizing with anyone who had to cross paths with him.

You may sympathize with guys like St. Gaudiens and Fraser but think of poor George Morgan. The guy had to work with both Charles AND his father and at the same time having many of his own designs overlooked. What a cruel fate some of use have to live with. 27_laughing.gif

jom