• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post your favorite Coin Design and Why.

26 posts in this topic

draped1807o.jpgdraped1807r.jpg

Model (Anne Willingham) was considered to be the "most beautiful woman in the United States"

Since then we have used models such as Abraham Lincoln and Susan B Anthony...no comparison.

1913D1AU50sm.jpg

My favorite series is the Buffalo Nickel because they evoke wistful images of the past-- The American West, frontier life and the romance of the plains. It also serves as a reminder, indeed a memorial if you will, for pioneers who died on those first trips west, for Native Americans forced out west on the Trail of Tears and for the American Bison, an animal hunted almost to extinction.

The pride of the Indian Chief is almost tangible, especially on well-struck type one examples before silly Charles Barber messed with the relief. The buffalo is depicted standing at attention on a mound of grass, surveying his pristine meadowed domain.

While it reminds of times past, good and bad, it is also one of the most artistically pleasing coins the US has ever issued in a base metal.

And, there are many opportunities for finding interesting coins!

-Amanda

wow amanda great site! sign-offtopic.gif looked at it and wow! didn't relize you were a yn. i am also have you ever attended summer seminair?

Russ

Thanks. smile.gif

I'm going to the summer seminar this summer! :thumbsup;

-Amanda

I'm with you there, jom...although I also like to throw the WLH into the mix. I have a thing for early 20th century coins.

The reason is that it was a period of great innovation. You could add the WLH, Lincoln and the gold coins to that list and you'd have some of the best designs in US history, IMO.

However, this period unfortunately ended when they decided to replace the SLQ with Washington. It's been down hill ever since with bad dead-President designs ever since.

jom

However, this period unfortunately ended when they decided to replace the SLQ with Washington. It's been down hill ever since with bad dead-President designs ever since.

Yea, verily.

All of Teddy R's work went down the drain. frown.gif

All of Teddy R's work went down the drain. frown.gif

Well, not really. You can still collect those series any time you want and there are many around still available to look at. The legacy lives on!

However, you'll have to ignore them if you want to become a Registry set collector as they only do "moderns".

devil.gif

jom