• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collecting Coins or Collecting Plastic?

41 posts in this topic

To address a few points that Winston has brought up. I have had multiple coins in my set that did not match the certification slot that they were put into because I had better pictures of the non-registered coin or because I simply felt like writing about the other coin. I also have some raw coins in my set that I have there by using the certification number of another coin that I either own or had previously cracked out of its slab and retained its number. You can be mightly flexible with these sets if you put your mind to it. Of course, I also have my own website for images, too.

Some of my thoughts on the Registry...

... In conclusion the registry is there for us to use the way we want. As I have stated above for whatever reason each of us choose.

I totally agree with all of what you said. I used to scorn the whole idea and was prejudiced against it. I've come to learn the opposite, and enjoy putting together stuff in a way that I can understand it, and hopefully, that others might enjoy reading and looking at. If anything, just to look at.

My only problem with it is the stigma attached to it because of highfalutin players into the numbers game and then looking at their coins in auction bringing outlandish prices for mediocrity. All that aside, I try to be true to myself and establish a genuine work that's very much my own.

All that aside, I try to be true to myself and establish a genuine work that's very much my own.

Mike, I've been checking some of your sets, particularly the Capped Bust Halves. Just AWESOME!!! You've done a really good job with it. thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif A nice mixture of coins, numismatic info, and historical info. A very tasty combo.

See, this is what I was commenting about. Your sets are excellent and have a lot of extra information to them and some neat pictures. Clearly you take pride and joy in the COINS that you purchased, and want to share that pride and joy in them with other people.

do you remember putting your phone actually on the modem device(looked like a cradle) so you could access the limited internet at that time. Mostly a bunch of connected colleges.

I just set up a registry set, nothing in it yet because none of my peace dollars are graded. Within the next couple of weeks I am going to spend the money and get them graded so I can have a registry set. I am doing it because, just because. I think alot of people set these up to try to compete but then may lose interest and just do not post images. Personally, I think if you have a registry set you should share the coins, that I am sure was the original intent of the registry concept.

do you remember putting your phone actually on the modem device(looked like a cradle) so you could access the limited internet at that time

Yeah I did that as a kid! I played star-trek against other people. I was a really cool kid insane.gif

do you remember putting your phone actually on the modem device(looked like a cradle) so you could access the limited internet at that time

Yeah I did that as a kid! I played star-trek against other people. I was a really cool kid insane.gif

I remember dial-up Internet! 893whatthe.gif

Ah-hem...some of us still have dial-up internet! shy.gif

Ah-hem...some of us still have dial-up internet! shy.gif

I see this post has morphed into one about technology. OK, screw the computer lingo, who remembers SLIDE RULERS?... and no, there weren't dinosaurs around when we used them.