• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Interesting Find on eBay... Silver Dollar Blank Planchet!

19 posts in this topic

that is fletcher from across the street selling the planchet.

while he is a complete jerk for what he did to Darin (BigD5) both on his feedback AND especially on the PCGS Boards, I would not hesitate to buy from him.....if I am not blocked. lol

6509.gif

Fletcher is a member here, too, though he hasn't participated in quite a while. I've never understood the grading of a planchet, and I think that authentication could be tricky business.

Difference between type 2 and type 1 is what ???

smile.gif

Type one refers to the coins compistion I would think. SIlver vs the clad comp.

Type 1 is a flat planchet. Type 2 has had the edge raised pre-striking.

smile.gif

Thanks for the great information.

smile.gif

Yay I was right! acclaim.gif

foreheadslap.gif

Newbie question, but what would stop one from creating a planchet mold, melting down a common silver dollar and pouring it into the mold. Then send it off to a TPG and selling it for $700?

Bob

Newbie question, but what would stop one from creating a planchet mold, melting down a common silver dollar and pouring it into the mold. Then send it off to a TPG and selling it for $700?

Bob

Nothing. It could even be a planchet from a ben franklin commem dollar or something like that.

Bob,

Planchets are punched from sheets of metal, they are not made from molds. If someone were to try to make one from a mold it would be easily identified as a fake due to the seam that would be left from the molding process.

Of course, if someone had the know-how, necessary machinery, and the inclination, it probably could be done. It would have to be the correct weight, diameter, and thickness. Would such a fake fool the TPG’s, I don’t know. confused-smiley-013.gif

John