• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Isabella Quarter in type set?

9 posts in this topic

Is there a reason why the Isabella is not included in the quarter type set? I know it was minted as a souvenir, but it IS a type of quarter and sought after in high grades. If we can have the twenty cent piece in the type quarter registry, why not the Isabella? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Andy

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The Isabella Quarter Dollar is purely a commemorative issue. It qualifies for the commemorative type sets but not for the U. S. type sets.

The twenty-cent piece is a regular issue, so it doesn't make for a valid comparison.

Ok, but a Twenty Cent coin is NOT a quarter.

I can see the logic in adding the Isabella. Why is the 1932 Washington then allowed? It also is a commemorative coin.

The 1932 quarter was conceived as a one-time commemorative, but before the first pieces were minted it had already been decided to discontinue the Standing Liberty type and utilize the Washington design thereafter. It turned out to be a circulating commemorative, much like the 1976 bicentennial issues.

I have an Isabella in a PCGS FN12 holder. Apparently they did circulate- intended or not.

If it is allowed in commerce it should be allowed in the QuarterType Registry. JMHO

David,

The state quarters are technically commemorative issues, as well as the bi-centennial issue. Both are allowed in the quarter type set. I would think that the Isabella, being somewhat unique as there aren't any other commemorative issue quarters, other than the two mentioned above, could certainly qualify as a "type" quarter. Am I to understand that only quarters that made it into circulation would be allowed in this set?

Andy 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The coins you cite were intended as circulating issues, whether commemorative or not. The Isabella Quarter belongs in the commemorative type set, and that's where it will stay.

Dude, just let it go . . . 893whatthe.gif

I think you might have opened up a can of worms, David, as your statement

The coins you cite were intended as circulating issues, whether commemorative or not. The Isabella Quarter belongs in the commemorative type set, and that's where it will stay.

indicates that circulating coinage should be in this type set and purely non-circulating coinage should be excluded. Using this as the basis for inclusion, why is the silver Bicentennial quarter in the set? After all, it was never released for circulation, nor was it intended to be. It was purely a non-circulating legal tender coinage issue that was sold at a premium. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Now, if you want to say that the Isabella is excluded because it just is, then there is no debate. It's up to you.