• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what's best camera for taking close pictures of coins????

26 posts in this topic

what is the best camera on the market for taking very high detail pictures of coins, like double dies for example I need something to get real good close ups any suggestions would help me alot thanks again.... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif

imho I would suggest a digital SLR, with interchangeable lenses. Your budget will have everything to do with your decision, though. I have taken well over 14,000 pictures with my nearly 3 year old Nikon D100, and I would not trade it for anything. Here are some examples:

DSC_8746.jpg

DSC_9831.jpg

Coin498752.jpg

The lenses I use are macro lenses, and with an extension tube I can get very detailed, even 1:1 or 2:1 magnification. I use a ring flash as well as a traditional flash, as well as natural lighting and inccandescent lighting, depending on the coin being photographed. I can upload more examples if you desire.

I also 2nd the Digital SLR.. I use a Canon Digital Rebel. Its not only great for coins but other photos as well. I have taken over 14,000 photos as well since like 2004. Here are a few shots...

ve18651.jpg

21b.jpg

coolsun.jpg

If you don't want to spend a fortune on a digital SLR, the Nikon 995 or 4500 are the best that I've found. These are not current models, but you can find used ones on eBay all the time. They have the advantage over all other point-and-shoots because they hold focus through the entire zoom range.

Many of the photos on my website were taken with a 995: ShieldNickels.Net

hi, thanks for reply bruce what are the settings you have on your canon S2 ??

I might be getting one and will need to take similar pics so I was wondering if you could help me witht the correct settings thanks,D.B.

bumpit.gifbumpit.gifbumpit.gifbumpit.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Well my name is not Bruce and I only wish i could take pictures as good as Bruce and 23Pairer.

As for the Camera settings on the Canon S2 :

I shoot all my pictures about 12" away from the coin. I use the camera's marco setting and the zoom to fill the LCD moniter with the coin.

I use Microsoft Photo Editor to cropped the images and I use Photobucket to host my images for posting.

The camera plays a part in coin images but your setup is also very important - lights, copystand etc....

DD

imho I would suggest a digital SLR, with interchangeable lenses. Your budget will have everything to do with your decision, though. I have taken well over 14,000 pictures with my nearly 3 year old Nikon D100, and I would not trade it for anything. Here are some examples:

DSC_8746.jpg

DSC_9831.jpg

Coin498752.jpg

The lenses I use are macro lenses, and with an extension tube I can get very detailed, even 1:1 or 2:1 magnification. I use a ring flash as well as a traditional flash, as well as natural lighting and inccandescent lighting, depending on the coin being photographed. I can upload more examples if you desire.

THOSE ARE GEORGUS!

Russ

If you are using natural light, do you angle the coin towards the light or do you shoot straight down on it. I tried shooting down with reguar flash and was not pleased with the results. When I shoot with natural light outside and I angle the coin, it seems like part of the coin is out of focus. I suppose I could shoot when the sun is at 12 o'clock high. I suppose a $400 ring flash would solve the problem. Maybe in the future. Here's an example of what I mean about the out of focus.

Bob

1425799-TonedMorgan3.jpg.e6c0594467b43419ddc83e6969879480.jpg

Ok, ok any final thoughts on cameras? I finally have the money and I am really thinking about getting the Canon S2 IS and just wanted to see if there were anymore recommendations out there thanks, D

k thanks I was just wondering about them now I am kinda wondering where is best place to get a copystand?? thanks, D

I got one (Digital Pursuits DICS129 Close-Up Copy Stand) at B & H for $30. Simple to use and works great.

Bob