• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Parsippany N.J. Coin show report

18 posts in this topic

I went to the monthly Parsippany New Jersey coin show today. I could not make it to last months show, so I was looking forward to attending today’s show a little more then usual. I arrived at about 9:00 a.m. and the floor traffic was already fairly heavy.

I immediately made my way over to my favorite dealer’s table. I spent some time today talking to him as well as a number of other dealers that I know, about the state of the market and I heard the same thing from each of the dealers I spoke to.

They told me that the market has slowed noticeably, but that they were still willing to buy the ‘right’ coins, meaning truly scarce or rare coins or coins that are solid or PQ for the grade. However, they also told me that they were either not buying or heavily discounting common and low end coins. In particular, a number of dealers told me that the market for modern commems was dead, and they were not buying these pieces at all.

After this, I walked the floor for awhile looking for any early commems, Buffalo nickels, or So Called Dollars that I would be interested in. There were a few Buffalos around, but nothing that I was interested in or that jumped out at me. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Come to think about it, I haven’t seen a Buff that made think ‘I have to buy this one’ in quite awhile. The really nice Buff’s seemed to have dried up. confused-smiley-013.gif

About mid way through the show I found a coin I needed for my early commem set. It was a 1938D Boone graded MS-66 by PCGS. Here it is.

1420981-1938dbooneobv.jpg1420982-1938dboonerev.jpg

This is a really nice coin, with luster that just pops up from the surfaces, and I’m really happy to have found one this nice. Once I bought this coin I thought to myself that I’d had a pretty good show and was content with life and the world in general, but I was only half way through the show, and little did I know that the best was yet to come.

By the time I finished walking the whole show, I wound up back at my favorite dealer’s table again. This was fine by me because when I was there earlier a line began to form at his table while he was talking with me. I didn’t notice anything in his cases that I just had to have at that time, and didn’t want to keep him from other customers so I told him I would stop back later and moved on.

This time there were no waiting potential customers, so I took my time going through a large group of So Called Dollars that he had. Boy, am I glad I did! I found that he had three pieces that were high up on my So Called Dollar want list.

The first is piece I found was a 1909 HK-370 Hendrik Hudson Daalder in MS-64. This medal was struck in aluminum and is listed in Hibler & Kappen as having less then 200 examples struck. This piece is one of only five graded MS-64 by NGC with only one graded higher at MS-65. Here it is.

1420964-1909HK-370obv.jpg1420966-1909HK-370rev.jpg

The second piece was a HK-552 Nevada silver centennial graded MS-65. These were minted in 1959 and made of silver to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the discovery of the Comstock Lode. They are listed as rare in Hibler & Kappen, meaning only 51 – 250 pieces known.

1420970-1959HK-552obv.jpg1420972-1959HK-552rev.jpg

But I saved the best for last. After finding that he had such nice examples of these two medals available I then found that he had a piece that I believe would be a highlight of any So Called Dollar collection, an HK-853. This is the 1876 copper re-strike of a Continental dollar, and is listed as very rare in Hibler & Kappen with only 21 – 50 examples known. Graded MS-64 BN by NGC, this is the highest graded example of only three that they have graded to date!

1420975-1876HK-853obv.jpg1420977-1876HK-853rev.jpg

Needless to say, all three pieces came home with me. I was hoping to meet up with DaveG today, and kept looking for him, but in the three hours that I was there I never did see him. I really wanted to show him the fruits my labor. grin.gif

Well, overall I had a great show today and hope I haven’t bored you all to death in my re-telling of it.

John

John!

I'm sorry I missed you! I was there from about 9:45 to 11:00 or so.

I can't believe we didn't see each other!

Well, there's always next month!

Thanks for the responses everyone, I guess I didn’t put everyone to sleep. smirk.gif

Too bad you could not find a nice buffalo.

Amanda, it definitely is too bad. It seems like it’s been forever since I’ve seen a buffalo that I wanted to add to my set.

Thirteen months to go...

Zach, when you’re ready to go, you let me know. I’ll be happy to meet up with you and introduce you to some of the best dealers who set up there.

I can't believe we didn't see each other!

Dave, I can’t believe it also. In fact, my daughter asked ‘weren’t you supposed to meet your friend?’ and I told her that maybe something came up and you couldn’t make it. Well, like you said, there’s always next month.

Thanks for this report. Great coins

Winston, believe it or not, I thought about you while I was at the show. I saw a really nice MS-64 Norse thick in a dealer’s case, and you popped into my head when I saw it. If I remember correctly, he was asking $345 for it.

John

Thirteen months to go...

Zach, when you’re ready to go, you let me know. I’ll be happy to meet up with you and introduce you to some of the best dealers who set up there.

Okay! See you Nov.4, 2007! cool.gif

I'm going to start saving up. wink.gif

I'm saving NOW for the 2007 ANA National Money Show. Planning to blow every penny to my name at the show. Considering my birthday and holiday money are still to come before then, I hope I'll have a large amount of cash to spend at the time of the show. We shall see, though. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

See, the thing is, I'm the only Coinee in my family. That means that if I want to go to Parsippany or Baltimore, I have to drive myself. How often is the Baltimore show?

See, the thing is, I'm the only Coinee in my family. That means that if I want to go to Parsippany or Baltimore, I have to drive myself. How often is the Baltimore show?

I'm the only die-hard coinee in my family, but even the most non-coinee person can appreciate a few beautiful coins. I'm thinking that by the time the ANA show rolls around, I'll have to rent a tour bus to carry my whole family to the show. Everyone wants to go already.

Although it's probably about the same time next year, it's a little early to be making plans.

The fall Baltimore show was held in early December last year - I think it was only scheduled for early November perhaps nine months ago or so.

Although it's probably a permanent change, I would wait until the March show to start making definite plans for the fall.

Thanks for the report. I've never been to the Parsipany shows. Wonder how long a drive it would be for me.

The Nevada dollar is truly spectacular. I love it. Great looking coin.

Do they have any really nice Busties at a show like that?