• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sources for Numismatic Research

9 posts in this topic

I'm interested in doing research on a particular coin. Specifically, I would like to find out why there were some 1949-S Franklins which were prooflike as the one shown below:

Frank1949Spl.jpg

The coin comes from extremely polished dies, and it's the only Franklin issue that even comes close to having this type of surface to my knowledge. I've tried doing preliminary research via email and telephone calls and have gotten nowhere - now I'm thinking I'll have to get serious about this. Here's my starting point. When the Franklin half was launched in 1948, a number of gala events were held by then mint director Nellie Tayloe Ross to celebrate the new half which had been a pet project of hers. At these events, place cards were made with an example of the new Franklin half. There is documentation in Rick Tomaska's boo, that such an event took place at the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia in 1948.

Now - in speaking with several long time collectors, they seem to think that the 1949S prooflikes were the result of a similar gala event held to inaugurate the launching of Franklin Halves at San Francisco. What I want to do, is see if there is some long lost evidence of such a thing. A request to the San Francisco Mint from the director to have a number of halves prepared, mint records showing an initial striking of some sort and what it was for.

Any suggestions on where to start this little adventure would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Frank

Frank,

There is always the possibility that your 49S is the result of a very early striking that has survived the test of time.

All early strikings from freshly polished dies will exhibit PL characteristics. And, polishing the dies before an important run is commonplace.

Still, I will email this thread to a buddy who is a numismatic researcher (of earlier stuff) and see how he responds.

EVP

PS Nice coin!

About a year ago, I had a mint set toned 1949-S PCGS MS65FBL that had nearly fully prooflike luster as well. This coin was obviously of mint set origin. I still have scans of it and I can send them to your e-mail address if you want to see the coin. The coin is toned so you don't really see how PL it is, but you can tell its pretty nice.

EVP: Please tell us what the link across the street is called. I am too tired for cryptic games tonight to spend an hour looking for it. Thank you.

It looks to be struck by polished dies. I have no specific information or knowledge of this coin, but do know that coins such as this are common in modern times. Not common in the sense that there were large numbers made, there certainly weren't, but common in the sense that at least a few examples exist for many dates. Except for a few late date cents, the only examples I've seen have been from mint sets.

Sometimes a very similar effect can be achieved by a polished planchet being struck by new dies. Only proof planchets are normally polished and these are not normally mixed with other planchets, but it is possible for planchets to get stuck in machinery and then polished by bouncing around in it.

It seems likely that there is very often some intention involved with coins such as these. Certainly the mint strives to make the best coins it can for the mint sets but this intention seems to exceed even this. There seems to be a correlation between all the different superlatives which constitute these coins which would be impossible without specific intent.