• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does NGC certify lacquered coins?

3 posts in this topic

Many of the older (world) copper coins were lacquered at the mint itself. I have seen dealers list NGC graded coins as "Superb full red gem, lacquered at the mint (as was the whole issue.) NGC has graded this piece on the few hairlines on the lacquer, not the coin."; yet NGC's "No Grade" booklet specifies lacquered coins as one reason for a coin begin BB'ed. I have also seen responses in the Ask NGC/NCS threads which says such a coin would not be certified, but was confused when I saw such a listing.

Please clarify as to what the policy is. I have not seen such a coin (NGC certified lacquered) in hand but trust the dealer when he says it is.

Thanks.

• Administrator

Our graders have advised me of the following general guidelines:

On US coins, lacquer is not acceptable. There are some cases where lacquer is acceptable on coins or exonumia when it was applied by a mint at time of issue, as was the case with certain turn-of-the-century British and Canadian issues. Lacquer must be undamaged for coins to be graded. For example, chipped, flaking, or bubbled lacquer must be removed before a coin can be graded by NGC.