• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin Dipping???What is it? Your thoughts about artificial toning???

11 posts in this topic

Coin Dipping???What is it? Your toughts about artificial toning???

I have heard people talk about this since I am kinda new to collecting still,(been doin it for 2 1/2 years) and still learning everyday. I was wondering what dipping is and why is it such a big deal? or is it? I have also heard artificial toning is bad is this true? ans why? just a few questions here please give me any thoughts you might have on these issues... thanks fellow collector stooges.gif

You opened the can of worms up.

Question 1. Dipping is not always bad, but people tend to use it for the wrong reasons. Alot of coins have lost originality because of it.

Question 2. What defines AT? Many people have different definitions of it. AT coins are bad for the simple fact many people buy them as NT not knowingly. They will bring a premium and thus the problem. It also harms the coins surfaces.

Basically I am wondering what do they dip them in tho that causes these AT to happen at a faster rate? I also agree that not all AT is bad, but am just trying to understand how this works. thanks for reply stooges.gif

AT has been a hot hopic many times. There are a million and one ways to AT a coin. Heat, Chemicals, etc etc... Do a search for MS70. It was a big topic of debate as far as toned Indian proofs go. I doubt you will get anybody in the know to tell you how it is precisly done. You may not replicate the results, but some bozo reading would try it.

Coin Dipping???What is it? Your toughts about artificial toning???

I have heard people talk about this since I am kinda new to collecting still,(been doin it for 2 1/2 years) and still learning everyday. I was wondering what dipping is and why is it such a big deal? or is it? I have also heard artificial toning is bad is this true? ans why? just a few questions here please give me any thoughts you might have on these issues... thanks fellow collector stooges.gif

A coin can be dipped into just about any kind of liquid with the desire to either preserve it's safety and integrity (conservation) or to strip off an unattractive layer of metal to reveal fresh underlying metal, thus yielding a newer appearance (cleaning).

Most of the time, if someone simply states "this coin is dipped", they are referring to dipping into a liquid solution that has an acidic content. The effect of the acid is to remove the top layer of silver molecules from the surface of the coin. Often, this is done because the silver molecules have reacted with something cause toning, perhaps perceived as "unattractive" toning. When this layer of molecules is removed, the underlying molecules, which are unreacted silver content, now become the outer layer, and since they are unreacted silver, they will be bright and shiny. Thus, you have the appearance of a new coin. However, this must be considered a cleaning process if you consider what I explained in this What You Need To Know article to be accurate.

It is also possible to dip a coin in distilled water or other non-acidic liquid, and since that does not effect a removal of silver molecules, it is not a cleaning process. For example, if you accidentally spill some milk on a coin, rinsing the coin in distilled water will safely remove the milk and make the coin look new again, but it does so without cleaning, since no metal is moved.

Please let me know if this doesn't suitably answer your question.

I'm actually gonna try dipping for the first time. I was advised that some stuff called MS70 was good. I bought a couple old barber dimes, not much to look at on ebay for .99cents, so I figured I'm not gonna lose much.

I'm guessing at the brand here, I know the product I was looking at was a dip. I'm doing this at work and the product name is at my home pc. It was recommended by someone on this site a while back, if I was to dip a coin, but I just haven't purchased it yet.

James is correct on the definition of dipping - the process actually removes metal from the surfaces. The most common "dip" solution I know of is called "JeweLustre" and it is an acid that removes unattractive toning if desired, but too much time in the dip, or too many times being dipped, and you will lose that nice mint lustre. I advise against it anyway. It's just too risky to do to a valuable old coin.

Besides, there is an outfit around here somewhere that conserves coins, and they know what they're doing.

For example, if you accidentally spill some milk on a coin, rinsing the coin in distilled water will safely remove the milk and make the coin look new again, but it does so without cleaning, since no metal is moved.

James...you left out the oreo crumbs...