• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What type of toning does this Frankie have?

12 posts in this topic

From the pattern of toning on the coin it appears to be from a US Mint Set, however, the colors that show up on my screen are almost entirely grey. Therefore, I can't really tell you anything else.

I have a great many original Mint sets - the toning is very similar to yours. I would say the coin you posted has original toning.

In the '50s Mint sets it is not unusual for the side of the coin that is down in the holder to be toned differently than the side facing up when you lift the paper flap. While the paper on both sides of the cardboard holder is the same - one side is sealed to the cardboard and the other is not. The sealed side allows much less air to directly reach the surface of the coin so it tones less as a general rule.

Alot of 57's and 58's have that purple speckled toning from the pink sheet that covered the coins in those mint sets. This one is a sister to yours and it came from a mint set too.

site1110.JPG

For some reason, 1958/58-D silver coins seem to have more toning than other years in the same era. I have several dimes, quarters and halves from this year that have very colorful toning (see Attached '58-P, MS66). Original Mint Set Franklin's are often toned red/purple for this year.

200067-1958Frank.jpg.792d445924d53baefdab9efb663acb9b.jpg

I have made the same observation and have come to this conclusion. There must have been something different about the holders the mint used in 58. I suspect that they are richer in highly reactive sulphur then the other years... What I don't know is if more sulphur would cause more rainbows or more of a black ugly toning.... I still suspect its in the holders and the paper that was used which is a sulphur rich enviroment.

I haven't seen many mint sets. I do have a neat 1956 set. These are double sets. One part came in cardboard in a folded piece of pink paper. Those coins developed great color. The other half came in cardboard in a folded piece of cream colored paper. That half has much less interesting color.

This image shows the colorful half with the cardboard and paper.

Perhaps different colors of paper were used in '58?

Set.jpg

wow, thats purrrtyy!!!! I know alot of the 50s sets had beautiful toning, but for some reason it seems the most rainbow type toning is found in the 58, as opposed to other years....