• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

please be patient and look at my AT NT question

14 posts in this topic

Perhaps I should say, I think this is NT, I think it's mint set toning, and I bought it from this photograph. Maybe my question should be, have you seen this kind of toning before on Franklin halves. == ??

244093677_eddd9b8f63.jpg

244093679_28cb92c95d.jpg

I wouldn't be comfortable buying that Frankie based on the images - I have several original 48 Mint sets and the Frankies have a very different look than what you have shown. Perhaps It's envelope toning confused.gif or maybe something else frown.gif

Franklins are one series that I personally prefer blast white, but your coin looks good to me. I'd vote for natural!

edited to say that by "looks good", I mean looks natural, not that I find it desirable crazy.gif.

I find the color very questionable. It's not a "color look" that I see frequently. It's too smoky looking for me to believe it is completely natural. I think it has been helped along.

I also think it is very slabable and it would not surprise me to learn it is in a major TPG holder.

Greg, It's PCGS slabbed for whatever that's worth.

I appreciate everyone's input. I would like to understand how it was stored for it to tone this way.

The thing I like about this coin is that it is so different from the typical 1948's I've seen. As a past Franklin collector, I remember having a 1948 that looked like someone threw a can of tar in it's direction, and a mega dealer advised me that that was about 'as good as they get'. And other than what I would see as an abnormal 'blast white' costing even more, I think, perhaps, that was 'as good as it gets' with the '48s. So I'm actually excited about this coin, but am also curious about how it became toned this way.

The thing I like about this coin is that it is so different from the typical 1948's I've seen. As a past Franklin collector, I remember having a 1948 that looked like someone threw a can of tar in it's direction, and a mega dealer advised me that that was about 'as good as they get'. And other than what I would see as an abnormal 'blast white' costing even more, I think, perhaps, that was 'as good as it gets' with the '48s. So I'm actually excited about this coin, but am also curious about how it became toned this way.

Mike, I'm not sure I understand confused.gif. Are you saying that for 1948, the norm is blast white? or toned? My understanding is that there were hundreds, if not thousands, of rolls of these saved, and that it is easy to find blast-white coins. Also, in my experience, it's one of the best-struck dates in the series.

As for how the coin got toned that way, I wish I knew confused-smiley-013.gif. Personally, I don't think it was "helped" at all.

James

1948 halves can sometimes be found with that color. 1948 is known for that russet orange crimpson. In fact its not known for any other colors! It is not at all unusual and I think the coin is perfectly natural. As for blast white 1948's, they are not very common without haze and spots. Finding a truly brilliant, white, gem grade 1948 is a real challenge. There may be 64s out there in quantity, though. confused-smiley-013.gif