• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Long Beach Show Report

15 posts in this topic

I can’t bear to watch this post die in the world coin forum so I’ll include enough general info to make it fit here!

Got to the show around 11:00 or so and wandering down the first aisle I met up with Greg and Jom who were milling about the ICG table bugging Cameron. After setting plans for lunch the first order of business was to view an auction lot, number 52177, Meiji 27 (1894) 1 Yen, KM-YA25.3, MS67 PCGS. I’ve been wanting a really nice yen for my collection for a while and this is the first that came around (excepting a few in an insanely priced dealer’s inventory). The coin was fully struck and exceptionally clean, especially the obverse, but had somewhat dead luster. Since it was shaping up to be a big money coin (closed at $2185) it had to absolutely blow me away - it didn’t so I passed. Insane price dealer was not quite as insane as I had thought, perhaps only moderately deranged. There were a few other yens but non really did ot for me. However, I did flip passed lot 52127, Meiji 3 (1870) 10 Sen Shallow Scales, KM-Y23, PCGS MS66, which really blew me away. It looks like nothing in Heritage’s photos but is fully cameo prooflike and made my heart go pitter-patter. Bid fairly strong and ended up winning the lot, very glad to have it.

Wandered the floor a bit, saw Greg and Mark Feld chatting, I wonder what the topic might have been? Lunch came and Jom, Greg, Cameron, Braddick and Tom Killian wandered over to the usual Thursday brewpub joint. Lunch pretty much sucked, too much Laura talk can really kill an appetite. Oh well, thing looked up when stopping at my favorite world coin dealers. Saw a lovely 18th century German minor (yes I’m purposely vague on my description) but apparently an original roll market and there may be an opportunity to pick up a cheaper and/or better one. More will follow details should I get one! Picked up lots of stuff to resell but only a Wurttemberg wedding 3 mark for myself, frosty white and very nice if common. Before leaving I took one final browse though heritages catalog, and noticed lot 51608, Cologne. Ernst von Bayern Taler 1591, Davenport 9159. Since the German stuff was all very weak in Goldberg’s auctions I figured why not throw in a low ball bid. Much to my surprise I won!

One last neat thing was my ability to upgrade one of my Japanese coins, a 1916 10 sen thanks to Greg. I bought one in an MS68 holder from him a while back but he had a better one, also in an MS68 holder come into his possession. They’re common really nice (hoard coins) but this one is really, really nice, I’m quite happy to own it. Since on eBay all MS68s are created equal we were easily able to cut a direct deal.

Old:

2501356-002.jpg

New:

1522013-006.jpg

I also stopped by for a few minutes on Friday. Wife and I wanted to take our son to the Long Beach aquarium for some time and he’s finally gotten patient enough to tolerate the 40 minute car ride. He really liked the jellyfish and afterwards we walked over to say hello.

That’s about it, I’ll be back tomorrow but mostly to pick up stuff being priced and the stuff from Heritage. Comments are welcome or feel free to add your own experiences.

Thanks for the report.

I understand why you "upgraded" 10 sen. The new one has cleaner surface with superstrike thumbsup2.gif

Was the aquarium fun enough for kids to spend hours? Im thinking of bringing my family to Long Beach, but there isn't much to spend time around there without a car except for the aquarium.

Great report and goes to show, depending on what you were seeking you either were successful or not and had a good show or not.

Also, for me, what turned a good show into a great one was the company of friends.

Coins will come and go.

Great report and goes to show, depending on what you were seeking you either were successful or not and had a good show or not.

Also, for me, what turned a good show into a great one was the company of felons

Coins will come and go.

893whatthe.gif

TRUTH

Also, for me, what turned a good show into a great one was the company of felons

Coins will come and go.

893whatthe.gif

TRUTH

Truth didn't show up! I always enjoy his coin stories and such but he wasn't there, as far as I know, on Thursday.

I do know I would have made him proud: I found street, meter parking less than a block away and avoided the $8. fee being charged by the lots further away!

" I found street, meter parking less than a block away and avoided the $8. fee being charged by the lots further away! "

thumbsup2.gif

Wednesday and Friday were my days. Not much to buy at this show. frown.gif

TRUTH

Kind of an uneventful day at the show, just picked up stuff from Heritage and some other things being priced up. Lunch was much improved this time, Saturday = Islands, with Greg, Jom and Cameron. On to the pictures!

Wurt3M.jpg

CologneThaler.jpg

Hmm, reverse seems to be upside down.

3650343.jpg

Was the aquarium fun enough for kids to spend hours? Im thinking of bringing my family to Long Beach, but there isn't much to spend time around there without a car except for the aquarium.

You can probably spend a day in Long Beach without a car but probably not much beyond that. The Aquarium is geared towards the young-uns with lots of hands on exhibits. I'd say 3 hours is probably about right for kids with average attention spans.