• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TomB - I have a coin picture for you!

12 posts in this topic

With the strike like it is... I would not be suprised to see this land in an MS65 holder. Should be MS66 in my eyes. But then again a 57 D does not come that well struck sometimes.

Hey Eric. How ya been? Great pic as expected. Here's my example:

Img23659.jpg

Img23660.jpg

Taken with my NIKON Coolpix 5700 wink.gif and two 13W OTT-LITES.

Hey, K6AZ, thanks for the image! That's a wonderful picture of the coin and one that shows quite a few characteristics of what may be found on coins from 1957-D US Mint Set cardboard holders. For those not familiar, the mostly untoned portrait and eagle are found often within these sets and they typically have a slate grey or blue hue within these areas. Also, auburn speckling as seen on the reverse is common, as is the deeper color clinging to the obverse rims. I would expect this coin to be in an MS66 holder.

Hey, K6AZ, thanks for the image! That's a wonderful picture of the coin and one that shows quite a few characteristics of what may be found on coins from 1957-D US Mint Set cardboard holders. For those not familiar, the mostly untoned portrait and eagle are found often within these sets and they typically have a slate grey or blue hue within these areas. Also, auburn speckling as seen on the reverse is common, as is the deeper color clinging to the obverse rims. I would expect this coin to be in an MS66 holder.

did you say 'blue'? 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

all kidding aside, takeit.gif

great coin thumbsup2.gif

Lee: Nice to hear from you again and glad to hear the 5700 is still doing a good job for you. Are you in VA now? I recall I shipped the 5700 to MD.

Tom: I thought you would like to see a Washington picture from me. This is indeed the cardboard mint set toning. The coin belongs to my dad, it is in a PCGS MS65 holder.

Lee: Nice to hear from you again and glad to hear the 5700 is still doing a good job for you. Are you in VA now? I recall I shipped the 5700 to MD.

Yup. Moved to VA Bch last May. My kid's and Grandkid's are here. Wanted to spend more time with them. grin.gif