• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Long Beach Show tidbit: SELL, SELL, SELL.

17 posts in this topic

I stopped by the Long Beach show today. SELL was the keyword. Not many dealers want to hold inventory right now. Several bigger dealers are loaded up with US gold and can't unload it for a profit. This cuts SEVERELY into the cash flow. One foreign dealer is dumping all his foreign gold and cutting his losses. I wouldn't say massacre, but by Friday you might have some dealers jumping off their showcases hoping for a quick death.

TRUTH

How unfortunate that the one thing I wanted to do tomorrow at the show was sell a gold coin. Great timing... yeahok.gif

jom

Went to the show today. Pretty awful. Dealers saying the show sucked. Not the usual dancing around of it not being as strong as they hoped, but saying outright sucked. Not much interesting in the cases.

It was rather weak. Nothing much interesting on the world coin front, may German coins brought weak prices in the Goldberg auction. I really hope that behavior carries over to Heritage. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Talking about the Heritage world coins auction, I had my eyes on a Japanese 1 yen in PCGS 67. It is the only coin I am interested in so far this month. But the bid went much higher than I was expecting to pay.

No coin for me this month?

I'm still in the market for a 1907 Indian eagle in AU. Is now a good time to buy for this kind of gold, or are the big hits on generic bullion value coins? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It might be as I do expect price to rise again....then again...who the hell knows? 893whatthe.gif

You really ought to have me look for one of these for you. I see them all of the time. The date comes real nice even in AU...very similar to the 11-P in that regard.

jom

EDIT: I forgot to mention. With the exception of hanging out with the gang at lunch the show BLEW.

Talking about the Heritage world coins auction, I had my eyes on a Japanese 1 yen in PCGS 67. It is the only coin I am interested in so far this month. But the bid went much higher than I was expecting to pay.

Hey Jammin...wasn't this the coin you looked for at the Hertiage lot viewing?

Toy: I believe JJ thought the 65 was nicer...

jom

No coin for me this month?

I viewed that one in person and decided not to bid after finding the luster dull. Very clean though, I would have bid up to about $2000 if it knocked my socks off.

Hey Jammin...wasn't this the coin you looked for at the Hertiage lot viewing?

Toy: I believe JJ thought the 65 was nicer...

jom

Yes, that was the one. The 65 was a better buy, a very nice coin for the grade. The 67 was a better coin on an absolute scale but so-so for the money.

Are you talking about Meiji36 in 65?

I hope you'll win if you are bidding on it.

I wonder who's the highest bidder on the Meiji27(PCGS67). Heritage/Goldberg are well known in Japan and I might see that coin in a dealer's show case someday at a local coin show.

Are you talking about Meiji36 in 65?

Yup, that coin was nice. I let that one go but did win one Japanese coin, lot number 52157:

Meiji 3 (1870) 10 Sen Shallow Scales, KM-Y23, MS66 PCGS. Blazing white with a frosty reverse and prooflike obverse. A spectacular appearance and the perfect type coin.

It was fully cameo prooflike although you couldn't tell from the photos, it made my heart go pitter-patter. I was fortunate enough to flip by it while looking for the MS67 yen.