• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the most common coin types that you've never had in MS or Proof?

6 posts in this topic

What are the most common coin types that you've never had in Mint State or Proof? And I would appreciate you telling the reasons why you never had that type in Mint State or Proof.

Any Seated or Bust coinage - why ? Because I just never liked the designs.

But I will admit - with the exposure to these types of coins that I have experienced here in this Forum - they are beginning to grow on me a bit. But just a bit - God I collect too much as it is now 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Until recently I would have written Liberty nickels because they are so bland with their shallow depth of field, overall poor striking characteristics and stiff design. However, I recently acquired a very pretty proof so that is out.

I have never owned a double eagle of any type. I really don't buy much gold coinage and the marks that gold picks up can be nasty. Probably it is just that the intersection of the right coin and the right time has not happened for me with this denomination.

I have never owned any MS or Proof Pre-1859, US copper. Full Rd copper coins inexorably lose money over time, at least for me they do and have. Plus, most RB and brown copper coins (without nice surfaces and toning) do not do much for me. However, I am building on a Registry-USA Type Set and will have to buy several of these coins if I want to even come close to finishing this Set. I will probably buy mostly nice toned AU's, except for the more common types.

Also, I have never owned a Type II, Gold Dollar in MS or Proof, probably because I already have an AU-58 Type II in my Gold Type Sets. Gold Dollars, even though I am a gold coin collector (Half Eagles, Saints), do not intrigue me.

I don't think I've ever had an MS or Proof Franklin half (although I think I might have one or two that are pretty close to Uncirculated; for all I know they might be Uncirculated!) Also I've never had an MS or Proof Buffalo nickel or Indian Head cent. I guess I've never gotten around to getting those coins yet!