• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Colorado Trip

23 posts in this topic

I guess I'm beginning to procrastinate a bit in my old age, but I'm finally getting around to telling you about my trip to Grand Junction. For those of you who aren't familiar with this area of Colorado, Grand Junction is 4500 feet above sea level where the Colorado and Gunnison Rivers join. It is in the central part of the state west of the Rockies and fairly close to Utah, and is nestled in the Grand Valley on the edge of a high mountain desert with the Grand Mesa rising to 12,000 feet to the east and the Colorado National Monument rising to about 10,000 feet to the west. The 25-mile drive over the Monument was simply spectacular and took about 6 hours. The rock formations were awesome and some of the canyons were 3,000 feet deep. I'll try to post some pictures later, but I don't know if the smaller images we are accustomed to using here will do them justice.

I found two coin dealers in Grand Junction and I visited both of them. Lewis Miller opened American Eagle Coins (200 W. Grand #11, Grand Junction, CO 81505, 970-640-3765) a few months ago and he also deals in NASCAR memorabilia. He is a pleasant guy and we talked for about an hour in between the occasional customer. I told him that I was primarily interested in Morgans, so he pulled several trays out and let me go through them at my leisure. He also has an auction board in the back of the store. It was the first one I've seen in a while.

I bought two Morgans from him. The 1886 caught my eye because it has a golden hue on the obverse and die clashes that are doubled. It is the first '86 with die clashes in my collection. The second Morgan is an 1897-S DMPL (another year that I didn't have). It probably won't grade better than 62, but I really like the mirrors.

Oops! I'm having trouble posting the pictures and I can't figure what I'm doing wrong.

The second dealer is International Coin & Stamp, 440 Main Street, Grand Junction, CO 81501, 970-243-5302, 800-243-5302, www.internationalcoin.com This store is owned by a father and daughter. Ron Mays wasn't there, but his daughter, Teresa Mays, was very pleasant and outgoing. When I told her I was from Florida, she asked if I had ever gone to the FUN Show. I told her that last January was my first time and it was great. She would really like to be able to attend sometime.

Anyway, Teresa brought out four books and several trays of Morgans for me to go through. While I went through them, she sat down across from us and worked on a Jefferson set for a customer and we talked about coins, in general, the whole time. I bought two Morgans from her. They are common dates, 1887 & 1888, but both have really nice toning.

1392096-IMG_0884.JPG1392096-IMG_0885.JPG

1392096-IMG_0886.JPG1392096-IMG_0887.JPG

1392096-IMG_0888.JPG1392096-IMG_0889.JPG

1392096-IMG_0890.JPG1392096-IMG_0892.JPG

1392096-IMG_0895.JPG1392096-IMG_0896.JPG

I'm still having trouble getting the correct color for my pictures. These coins look a lot better than my photos.

So, if you are ever in Grand Junction, be sure to stop in and say "Hi!" to Lewis or Teresa.

Chris

PS. A belated Happy Birthday to you, Hayden!

1392096-IMG_0896.JPG.0b448f4ccbd1b4e6e2abe424ee5b21fe.JPG

Nice finds, Chris! I'm surprised that Grand Junction has two coin shops - I'll have to stop at them some time when passing through. Thanks for the heads up!

So, what was happening out in the Rocky Mountain west with you?

Hoot

Sounds like you had a nice trip. When you get a chance to post some pictures of the surroundings you should add them; I have never been out there. frown.gif

My family has been talking about taking a trip to see the Grand Canyon and all in a year or two. I'm really looking forward to that. laugh.gif

27_laughing.gif no not that place he is an antique dealer that thinks h is a coin delaer. he won't buy anything from me but we trade and i have found great stuff. my favorite find isn't the rartest but it is still cool it is an 1864 two cwnt piece with a 180 degree rotated reverse.

Russ

Nice finds, Chris! I'm surprised that Grand Junction has two coin shops - I'll have to stop at them some time when passing through. Thanks for the heads up!

So, what was happening out in the Rocky Mountain west with you?

Hoot

Thanks, Mark! I was there because of a real sweetheart of a woman. I can't remember if I got the chance to introduce you to her when you and I met in Las Vegas. She works for the American CueSports Alliance. I've known her for 5-6 years, but I never thought she could be interested in an old fart like me.

Chris

Thanks Chris,I'm glad you had a good time. That '97-S has some nice mirrors, shame for the marks. Was this the same date as Jeremy's?

I can live with the marks. It's not too often that you find DMPL's in high grades unless your name is Katz. No, Jeremy's was an 1899-O. I'd love to have it, but he wants more than I'm prepared to pay.

Chris

Sounds like you had a nice trip. When you get a chance to post some pictures of the surroundings you should add them; I have never been out there. frown.gif

I'll try to do just that in the next few days. I still have a bunch to sort through.

The automobile trip through the Rockies from Denver to Grand Junction was absolutely breathtaking. The drive on I-70 takes you past the snob town of Vail. One of the side trips we made from Grand Junction was 100 miles south on State Route 550 to the little town of Ouray (pronounced Yu-ray). You enter it from the valley to the north and it is 7800 feet above sea level. What makes it so awesome is that it is surrounded on the east, west and south by 12,000-14,000 foot peaks that are near vertical right along the edge of the town. The only other way out of town is south through the pass at 13,100 feet. The town, itself, is listed in the National Registry of Historic Places and many of the buildings date from the 1870's to the turn of the century. I was surprised to learn from reading the historic markers that are along Main Street that the town had four billiard parlors at different times.

Chris

I have been to Both Grand Junction and The Grand Canyon. Grand Junction is nice. Its a nice sized town, with a few cool attractions. Nothing like the grand Canyon though. Seen that 3 times and would go back again. Nice pick ups Chris. I like the DMPL Morgan!

I guess I'm beginning to procrastinate a bit in my old age, but I'm finally getting around to telling you about my trip to Grand Junction. For those of you who aren't familiar with this area of Colorado, Grand Junction is 4500 feet above sea level where the Colorado and Gunnison Rivers join. It is in the central part of the state west of the Rockies and fairly close to Utah, and is nestled in the Grand Valley on the edge of a high mountain desert with the Grand Mesa rising to 12,000 feet to the east and the Colorado National Monument rising to about 10,000 feet to the west. The 25-mile drive over the Monument was simply spectacular and took about 6 hours. The rock formations were awesome and some of the canyons were 3,000 feet deep. I'll try to post some pictures later, but I don't know if the smaller images we are accustomed to using here will do them justice.

I found two coin dealers in Grand Junction and I visited both of them. Lewis Miller opened American Eagle Coins (200 W. Grand #11, Grand Junction, CO 81505, 970-640-3765) a few months ago and he also deals in NASCAR memorabilia. He is a pleasant guy and we talked for about an hour in between the occasional customer. I told him that I was primarily interested in Morgans, so he pulled several trays out and let me go through them at my leisure. He also has an auction board in the back of the store. It was the first one I've seen in a while.

I bought two Morgans from him. The 1886 caught my eye because it has a golden hue on the obverse and die clashes that are doubled. It is the first '86 with die clashes in my collection. The second Morgan is an 1897-S DMPL (another year that I didn't have). It probably won't grade better than 62, but I really like the mirrors.

Oops! I'm having trouble posting the pictures and I can't figure what I'm doing wrong.

The second dealer is International Coin & Stamp, 440 Main Street, Grand Junction, CO 81501, 970-243-5302, 800-243-5302, www.internationalcoin.com This store is owned by a father and daughter. Ron Mays wasn't there, but his daughter, Teresa Mays, was very pleasant and outgoing. When I told her I was from Florida, she asked if I had ever gone to the FUN Show. I told her that last January was my first time and it was great. She would really like to be able to attend sometime.

Anyway, Teresa brought out four books and several trays of Morgans for me to go through. While I went through them, she sat down across from us and worked on a Jefferson set for a customer and we talked about coins, in general, the whole time. I bought two Morgans from her. They are common dates, 1887 & 1888, but both have really nice toning.

1392096-IMG_0884.JPG1392096-IMG_0885.JPG

1392096-IMG_0886.JPG1392096-IMG_0887.JPG

1392096-IMG_0888.JPG1392096-IMG_0889.JPG

1392096-IMG_0890.JPG1392096-IMG_0892.JPG

1392096-IMG_0895.JPG1392096-IMG_0896.JPG

I'm still having trouble getting the correct color for my pictures. These coins look a lot better than my photos.

So, if you are ever in Grand Junction, be sure to stop in and say "Hi!" to Lewis or Teresa.

Chris

PS. A belated Happy Birthday to you, Hayden!

I mentioned that I've had trouble getting my photos to come out just as the coins look in-hand. In other threads, some of you have suggested using a white background. As you can see from the photos above, I had been using a green background. Actually, it was a scrap of pool table cloth. So, I've taken new photos with a white background. I can see some difference, but does anyone have any suggestions to help me get better results?

1397390-IMG_0901.JPG1397390-IMG_0902.JPG

1397390-IMG_0897.JPG1397390-IMG_0898.JPG

1397390-IMG_0899.JPG1397390-IMG_0900.JPG

The color is now closer to what they actually look like..........almost. However, I've noticed that the white background now looks gray. What am I doing wrong? I guess you can tell I'm not a photographer. Any suggestions would really be appreciated.

Chris

1397390-IMG_0900.JPG.3a616bae27045d38497aac3e8d847d07.JPG

893scratchchin-thumb.gif When I take my pictures, I do it on a white sheet of paper also. My pictures come out grey too, but with the coin looking close to in hand. I set my custom white balence, and stop down the aperture as low as I can for best results.