• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How would an ANACS 5 step Jefferson compare to a PCGS or NGC Full Step coin?

3 posts in this topic

I have found a 1959 ANACS MS66 5 step Jefferson nickel and wondered how it would compare to a PCGS MS66 FS nickel? What would the chance be of it crossing over to NGC or PCGS?

Thanks, Charlie

Whether or not it will cross as an MS66 just depends on the particular coin in question, because, if anything, ANACS is conservative on Jefferson nickles. I see as many overgraded NGC and PCGS coins (if not more) as I do ANACS coins, so I don't descriminate against the holder until I see the coin in person. Eye appeal and luster are major factors on an MS66.

I think 5 steps will get FS at PCGS but I think you need 6 steps for NGC. I might be mistaken on that, though.

Coinman1794 is correct that PCGS requires 5 steps for the FS designation and NGC requires 6. On nickels, NGC grades harder than PCGS, especially for Jeffs and buffs. With Jeffs, ANACS usually hits the same mark as NGC but has the advantage of listing whether the coin is a 5 or 6 step nickel.

Why all three of the coin services mentioned don't list the step formula as standardized by the Full Step Nickel Club is beyond my understanding. Charge and extra fee for it if necessary, but list the step formula (e.g., 5-5-5-5 or 6-6-6-6 or 6-5-5-6. etc.). This is the only way to get away from the current prejudices of grading full step Jeffs. Once again, NGC has the opportunity to get ahead of the field.

Hoot