• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gold Buffalo Production Numbers

15 posts in this topic

Are they on sale until 12/31/06 or until they sale out?

These were a bust, IMO. I thought that they would do much better than they have.

I don't think they are a bust. I think the timing was a bust!

The sale of 24k coins is a good idea. But with the economy going the way it is with gas prices raising higher than wages are able to keep up that affects everything that needs fuel, the cost of a 24k gold coin is too expensive. Wait until the economy improves again and the sale of these coins will improve.

Are they on sale until 12/31/06 or until they sale out?

I was under the impression that they would continue to the end of the year and any remaining coins would be melted down. (almost positive I read that somewhere). That might help value, but not for a few years I would think.

Oh yes, I forgot---are these numbers for proofs or uncs??

The way I read it, the numbers refer to "bullion coins" [uncirculated] as compared to the proof coins.

buffaloproof.jpg

I clicked the link on the Mint web site. The Law allows for (but not mandated) 4 subsequent designs in numbers the Secretary deems appropriate. What is interesting is that if the Buffalo's are not sold out and subsequent designs are done, then I would think that you would see smaller quantities of these subsequent designs. If someone wanted to put together a full set, then the original coins may go up in value. My 2 cents.

After reading through the law, I noted a couple of things, most of which belong in a seperate thread. Of the Gold buffalo though, the verbiage in the law seems to indicate that there will be regularly issued .9999 1 oz gold bullion coins and that the design of said coins is not tied to the Coinage Act which required a design to be used for 25 years. So for those that wondered if this would be a one time thing, its not. In addition, the secretary may change these designs at will. I foresee a "commemorative" type sequence of a different design every year. I just hope the mintage is cut down.