• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FSH: 1999 Susan B. Anthony Special Mint Set

5 posts in this topic

1999 Special Mint Set

Uncirculated Set of two Anthony Dollars

For Sale:

I have several 1999 Special Mint Sets of Susan B. Anthony (SBA) Dollars. Each set includes two mint-sealed packs, one containing the 1999-P SBA dollar and a Philadelphia mint token, the other containing the 1999-D SBA dollar and Denver mint token. The SBA dollars are uncirculated and as released by the mint. The coin packs are enclosed in a mint envelope along with a certificate of authenticity (see photos below). I am asking for $9.99 per set plus S&H as outlined below.

1387811-SMS.jpg
Above is shown a special mint set: envelope (top-left); 1999-P and 1999-D SMS dollars and tokens (top-right); and mint certificate of authenticity(middle-left).

Below, for reference, are examples of a 1999-D circulation strike and a 1999-D SMS strike Anthony dollar from my personal collection (These two coins are shown as examples only; they are not included in this auction.)

Background Information:

First off, I'm a collector, not a dealer. I try and include a little information in my auctions and other offerings. One of my collecting specialties is the SBA dollar series, one which many collectors currently overlook.

What many collectors do not realize is that the 1999 Special Mint Set (SMS) issued dollars were minted using a different process than the regular circulation-strike dollars of that year. The 1999-P and 1999-D SMS dollars were double-struck on specially polished dies, creating a rather unique, proof-like effect on many of the coins. SMS coins usually appear to have an almost chromed surface in comparison to the regular circulation strike coins (see photos above).

Because the SMS coins were minted in a different process from the circulation-strikes of the year, I consider both varieties to be necessary in a complete set of SBA dollars (see chart below). At present, third-party graders (like PCGS or NGC) are not recognizing the difference between SMS and circulation strike SBA's, but my guess is that sometime in the future this will change. The 1999 SMS issue was not included in the regular mint set of that year, so purchasing the Special Mint Set is the only way to acquire this variety.

What Constitutes a Complete Set of SBA Dollar Coins:
Year Mint Mintage Type / Variety Type of Release

P

P

D

S

S

S

P

D

S

S

P

D

S

S

S

P

P

D

D

P

750,000 **

Narrow Rim (Far Date)

Wide Rim (Near Date)

Type 1 (Filled S)

Type 2 (Clear S)

Type 1 (First S)

Type 2 (Clear S)

Circulation Strike

Circulation Strike

Circulation Strike

Circulation Strike

Proof

Proof

Circulation Strike

Circulation Strike

Circulation Strike

Proof

Mint Set

Mint Set

Mint Set

Proof

Proof

Circulation Strike

Special Mint Set

Circulation Strike

Special Mint Set

Proof

* Included in mintage above.

** Estimated mintage.

Terms:

I prefer payment by PayPal but will also accept personal checks. Payment (or notice of intent to pay by check) must be received within five (5) business days of auction end date. Items paid for by personal check will be held until the check clears.

First-class shipping and handling charge is $3.50. If you purchase additional sets from me at the same time, please add $1.00 additional S&H for each additional set.

Insurance is optional; if you want it, add $1.35 to shipping cost.

Buyer may return item(s) if still in their original holder and condition up to fourteen (14) days from payment date. If auction contained multiple items, you must return all items. Please contact me to let me know of your intent to return the items, and ship them within three (3) business days of my reply. In the case of a return, I will refund to the buyer the full amount of their bid.

At this time, I only ship within the United States.