• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ever get a coin in the mail with a price marked on it less than you paid?

11 posts in this topic

I just got a fairly cheap coin in the mail which was still in a cardboard 2x2. I'm not certain if that was the price he had it for sale at a show or something, or if that's what he paid. It was a couple dollars less than I paid, so I think either way he didn't make much if anything on it. Still, it got me wondering - anyone ever buy a really expensive coin and when it arrives, it has a much lower price marked on the holder? How does that make you feel?

Oh, not much at all - $8.50 with S&H and the coin was marked $7 - if I'd skipped the shipping and gotten it at a shop or show, I'd have only paid $6.50.

So I'm not annoyed at all - I was just curious how people deal with a more extreme example.

It doesn't bother me at all, after all we agreed on a price and that is the price today. What was marked on the holder could have been what the price was when the seller bought it, or some earlier time. A good example, I have a book with coins in 2x2s that I bring to the local coin club meeting to sell if there is interest, and all the Walkers and Franklins have $3 marked on them since I first marked them when silver was only $7.50 an ounce. I certainly wouldn't sell them for that today, since they melt at around $4.50 or $5 each. So if I sell a circ walker for $5 and it has $3 written on it, would that make a difference? It shouldn't since no one who has any clue that silver is $13 an ounce would expect to pay $3 for more than 1/3 of an ounce of silver.

It should be a matter of no consequence. After all, you don't know who put that price on there, if it was a sell price or if it was a buy price or even when the price was put on the coin.

Here is a real world example that happened to me and that temporarily short-circuited a sale. I had a table at a three-day show and had out an Isabella quarter graded by PCGS as MS61. The coin was far cleaner than an MS61 and was in an "old green holder", but it had the life dipped out of it. My wife had bought this coin for herself approximately five years earlier and had left the sales sticker on the reverse of the slab. It read $265, which was a fair price for the coin at the time of her purchase. My wife was willing to sell the coin to put the money into another purchase so I put the piece out in the case. Since I do not put stickers with prices on the reverses of slabs I had not thought to remove it.

A dealer came to my table, looked at the coin and asked what I wanted for it. I told him a price that was more than double the sticker price on the reverse, but that was also fair market value at the time of sale. He agreed, then noticed the sticker price and said he didn't fell comfortable paying the price that I quoted. I told him the sticker price had been from five years prior and that I had simply forgot to remove it. He backed out of the deal.

The next morning, before the public was allowed into the show, that same dealer came by my table and again asked to see the Isabella. He again asked a price and I told him the same number I had told him the day before. However, I had removed the sticker after my initial conversation with him. He immediately agreed to my asking price and purchased the coin. Apparently, he had forgotten that this was the coin he backed out of the day before because of the price he had seen on a half-decade old sales sticker. foreheadslap.gif

Funny story Tom.

I wouldn't worry about the sticker price. The only thing that matters is that you are happy with the purchase.

Spider - that is the coolest avatar. I love it thumbsup2.gif

The price on the sticker or written on the 2x2 doesn't bother me or enter into what I will pay a coin. I have some old 2x2s my dad bought 20 years ago. It's kind of fun to look at them and see how they have appreciated.

The only thing that matters is the price quoted and wether or not I am willing to that price.

Mike, since I don't do many "in-person" sales,I usually just write all of my purchase info on a label and slap in on the back of the slab.I then take it off when I mail the coin out to a buyer. There have been a few times where I almost forgot to pull off the label,personally I would be rather embarrassed if a buyer where to see any of labels. I guess this must not be the same since I've gotten quite a few coins with labels or prices written on them. I get mixed feelings with some of these labels,whether the prices are higher or lower. I wonder if that was a buy price,an asking price,or just a number that had nothing to do with the coin. Just as long as I paid what I feel was a reasonable amount for the coin, I don't care what the heck is on the label smile.gif