• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2006 mint sets

6 posts in this topic

sign-rantpost.gif

I piggybacked 2 mint sets with my SAE set order and recieved the mint sets the day before yesterday.

WTF????? The satin finish makes the set as Bland and unspectaculer as any coins I have ever seen.

And doesn't the satin finish make an actual subset to the whole state quarter collection..All I wanted is regular old MS coins in my mint set and the tards at the mint gotta go and screw that up....WTF sign-rantpost.gif

I now return you to your regular postings

sorry.gif

I agree with your objections to the satin finish. I think this was a lousy ploy by the Mint to make more money, and the coins are not any better looking than brilliant finish circulation strikes. Making satin finish pieces of common denominations simply adds to an ever-growing set of coins from the Mint that are for collectors only.

Hoot

I didn't even open my 2 sets - just filed them in my mint set storage box. Guess I better go open them up and take a look.
It's like The mint took away all the giddy immature excitement.

When the satin finish is applied thoroughly to the dies (and thus, the coin is actually satiny), it tends to have a muted look to it. The light gets trapped in the tiny nooks and crannies of the surface, I guess. I don't like this satin at all! What I like to do is look for the coins that are not fully frosted. There are some that can be found with glossy luster and cameo contrast over the devices! These coins are spectacular, harder to find, and they are the only thing good to come of the satin finish, in my opinion.