• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fantastic superb original iridescent toned early pre 1835 silver federal issue

12 posts in this topic

here is a highly unusual coin something you rarely if ever see

an 1830 half dime pcgs ms64 that is totally original never dipped or played with pre 1835 silver federal coin

the coin is basically so thickly skinned with a thick glazing over the coin it appears a little dull and the middle is grey glazed in color

that is why this coin only graded a ms64 i mean the strike is 100% full wihch you hardly ever see on such coins and nary a mark on the coin

technically it is a ms66 easy but due to pcgs market grading the coin

as there is not the lustre needed for the ms66 nonetheless still a fantastic early silver coin totally and fully untouched and original thick glazed skin

many have never seen such a coin and the sheets in their pricing such coins take into account that many to most all to for the most part practically all have been dipped at one point in their life or another

this coin was put away in an album for 100 years or more to get this type of toning and the toning was slow due to the undipped nature of the coin

usually with pre 1835 silver coins they were mostly dipped and if then put into the albums and toned faster because of the dipping and not true thick glazed dull grey senters but white to blast white and secondary toning that just reeks of a monster dipped stripped white coin usually with many hidden haitlines and other problems from the dip

this coin needs to be sight seen in person as the toning around the rims is lusterous and just thick and deep with amazing eye appeal that is the main cruz of the matter with this coin exceptional eye appeal

then combined with a superb technical grade and full strike makes this coin a one in a million coin

this kind of undipped non wiped originality is highly prized and rarely ever seen

sincerely michael shy.gif

194138-1830.jpg.464cd634f130b1d5567dbe6f552dcc77.jpg

okay, Michael, give it up!!! cloud9.gif A true beauty and just the right denomination for my type set. So some gave it a 64, I would be proud to own that coin!! BTW, I enjoyed the pic of the 3 center also!! 893applaud-thumb.gif Your half dime would look nice next to my seated Liberty Half-10!! grin.gif Truly cool coins...

Michael,

It may not be my favorite rendition of Lady Liberty, but there's no denying that's one gorgeous specimen. I like the eagle design on the reverse, but what really makes the coin appeal (to me) is the overall coloring and perfection of toning. Assuming this is yet another super coin in your collection, congratulations!

smirk.gif

Beijim

P.S. Is the color above the date and through "5C" on the reverse really blue as it appears in the photo? If so, that's just awesome (I love ice blue and similar shades on toned coins).

thanks beijim let me tell you something you are extremely smart the comments you made are the reason why this coin is so monster great!!

is the overall coloring and perfection of toning. 893applaud-thumb.gifABSOLUTELY CORRECT BEIJIM!!!!!!!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif just like you said why you like it

P.S. Is the color above the date and through "5C" on the reverse really blue as it appears in the photo? If so, that's just awesome (I love ice blue and similar shades on toned coins).

cloud9.gif YES THE COLOR IS REALLY AS BLUE AS IT APPEARS THIS COLOR IS RARE AS MANY COINS TONE BLUE BUT ARE DIPPED BRFORE WHEREAS THIS COIN TOOK LIKE 100 YEARS TO GET LIKE THIS AND WAS UNDIPPED WHEN PUT INTO THE FOLDER/ALBUM/CABINET TO TONE LIKE THIS this is why this ice blue look is so rare and with this totally original unplayed with look you never ever see

there was a neat toned capped bust ms64 pcgs in an auction two years ago with toning that was original and great but dipped and secondary and not as nice as the abbove coin and it brought around 2500 in the goldberg auction this 1830 is ten times better! in person this coin would knock you out i have NOT seen a better capped bust halfdime toning wise are there a precious few out there as good as this one? i am sure there are somebetter?? i DOUBT IT BUT I GUESS ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE BUT I WILL NOT HOLD MY BREATH

when the owner got this 1830 coin many years ago he paid 2.5x greysheet bid and frankly i thought this was way too cheap for this coin

sincerely michael

Michael, I'm a sucker for that kind of rim toning on a 19th Century type coin. To me, that coin has "the look," and assuming the image is true, I'd take that one any day over a dipped white or retoned one in 5.

hi there elcon if you saw the coin in person the toning is much better and a larger area and thick and monster lustre!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it is ten times better in person

this coin and of course you cant really see it as it is WAY NICER!!! flamed.gif in person

but this coin would sell for between 65 and 66 money easy

EASY IN THIS CURRENT MARKET in this ms64 holder

sincerely michael

Holy cow! Throw out the price guides and grading service "opinions" on this kind of a coin. They mean nothing. I don't care if it's in a 63 or a 66 holder, the numerical grade can never do justice to such a work of art as this. Michael, where do you come up with these smile.gif

coinosaurus this coin was bought some years ago by a collector and i think he paid 2 to 2.5 times over the then current bid i think the collector got a super deal at the time as the coin i have seen in person sight seen and it is amazing

really based on the bid sheets the sheets assume

not original 893whatthe.gif

and dipped 893frustrated.gif

and really no original toning 893frustrated.gif

and also.... the sheets assume based on their pricing the most important point makepoint.gif the coin is ugly............lol

so the bids are useless for coins like this and at the price the collector paid was still a bargain due to its overall look

the coin never made it to a retail list a collector by chance called a dealer and asked if they had anything acclaim.gif"special" acclaim.gif and it was sold over the phone pending sight seen approval

Michael, thanks for the super reply and info, which I'm sure everyone enjoyed.

As an aside, I believe I read in another post of yours that you live in the Rochester area? My best friend from college lives in Pittsford, so I might be bugging you sometime to get together for lunch. Needless to say, I'll remind you to bring this coin (along with an armored Brinks truck and guards) for that in-person viewing smirk.gif.

Regards,

Beijim

COME VISIT ME in rochester i live in the city but am close a 15 minute drive from pittsford an eastern suburb of rochester

LET ME KNOW WHEN YOU WILL BE IN TOWN AND WE WILL GET TOGETHER FOR LUNCH! cloud9.gif

and we can do federal coinage acclaim.gif