• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this coin NT or AT?

AT or NT? That is the question  

111 members have voted

1. 1. AT or NT? That is the question

14 posts in this topic

This is one of my favorite coins, so I'm hoping the consensus is NT, original, but the toning is too even, so I wonder. I got it from Aspen Park, and it's a lovely 53 arrow and rays. Great luster. Certainly, if it was dipped and toned, the luster wasn't compromised. It's extremely easy to photograph, it is what it is and how you see it, and for some reason that makes me think it's entirely natural.

What do you think and why?

194946064_38ea02635d.jpg

194946065_62392898f4.jpg

I was just looking at your type set, Mike, and once again I noticed this coin. I really like it and would be proud to own it in my type set. Yet, my instincts tell me that it was darkened up in some way.

Mike, my guess from the images is that the coin was dipped at one time and eventually toned back again. That sounds consistent with your "Certainly, if it was dipped and toned". However, in my view, that would be inconsistent with "it is what it is and how you see it, and for some reason that makes me think it's entirely natural." I say that because I wouldn't describe any previously dipped coin as "entirely natural".

I was just looking at your type set, Mike, and once again I noticed this coin. I really like it and would be proud to own it in my type set. Yet, my instincts tell me that it was darkened up in some way.

Looks like it was litely cleaned and then re-toned (this based on the image I see on my screen)

My vote would be "original now." By that I mean my opinion is that it was dipped and then re-toned, partly from the stuff that was used to dip it.

I have a couple coins in my collection, which I've owned for many years, that have had the same thing happen to them.

Most every 19th century coin has been dipped at one time or another. If you rejected all of the coins that have bere dipped, there would not be much to choose from. And some of the totally original coins are pretty ugly. "Original does not equal pretty an many cases.

I would guess NT (napkin toned).

tongue.gif

sign-funnypost.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

maybe a White Castle Napkin that pre-dates Taco-Bell.

I appreciate all this valuable input and thanks to all for helping me to understand this coin a little bit better.

It is graded as an NGC MS61, and I suspect PCGS would grade this an AU58. So, I would agree it's an AU61 or something like that. I got it from Aspen Park. Gail has some really nice coins for sale.