• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you ever like to see a US coin struck in a shape other than circular.

10 posts in this topic

For some reason, hexagonal coins are rather neat. I would like to see a modern commem struck in that shape, rather like the norse commems of 1925. I realize this shape would not be good for commerce, so a NCLT coin would be optimal. Any thoughts?

TRUTH

Yep. I'd like to see commemoratives struck with odd shapes as long as they aren't too gimmicky. I like the look of the Pan Pac $50 slug. It'd be nice to have another gold commem like that.

Too bad with the failure of the bi-metallic LOC commems I think the mint will stay away from anything innovative.

Yep. I'd like to see commemoratives struck with odd shapes as long as they aren't too gimmicky. I like the look of the Pan Pac $50 slug. It'd be nice to have another gold commem like that.

Too bad with the failure of the bi-metallic LOC commems I think the mint will stay away from anything innovative.

I really liked the LOC commem. One of my bigger numismatic regrets was taking the profits on the ones I bought and not keeping one for myself.

I would like a dollar coin with many sides. I was just going through my junk box yesterday and found several coins with different numbers of sides. The most I have is 10 sides.

I have just started a new collection to see how many different ones I can find. So far I have 2 different coins with 10 sides and one with 7 sides. I imagine 6 and 8 should be very easy and will scour junk boxes at the next show I go to.

It would have to be some sort of Commem that didn't have a huge mintage. The problem would be in production since it is far more difficult to crank thousands of coins that are NOT round thru the presses. It would take a lot longer because you'd have to line up the planchet with the stamp. Whereas a round coin (not having any sides) goes right it...quickly.

jom

Jom,

I thought about that. I wonder how much more would it cost the mint? But if other nations can do it, why not the US mint? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

TRUTH