• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Dilemma: Mercs or Washies?

21 posts in this topic

I'm thinking of starting a new set to persue while I'm doing my 7070. I'm thinking either Mercs or Washies, and I can't decide, but I can't afford the keys for both series. They would all be circulated, I'd much prefer a nice, original circulated coin than a dipped out Unc. The grades would probably be VF20-VF35.

For the Washington quarters, I like the amount of coins, and numerous, but not outrageously expensive, key dates.

For the Mercury dimes, I like the amount of coins, and the design. Excluding the 42/1s, (I'm not sure if they're in the Dansco) there is only one key date, and it's getting more expensive by the minute.

A benefit of these series is that most coins can be gotten at junk silver prices, but I love nice, circulated, crusty examples of these coins.

I can't afford both's key dates at the moment, so I must choose one, unless anyone has any other ideas. Which should it be?

Thanks for the help,

Zach thumbsup2.gif

I have a complete (except the slabbed 16-D in G6) Dansco VF-XF'ish set and it wasn't TOO expensive (took 3 years) to put together. The 21-D and 21 are keys along with the 16-D......26-S and 31-D+S are semi keys. Naturally, I'D go with the Mercs.......... thumbsup2.gif

zrlevin-----IMHO the Mercs would be the greater challenge in true original VF--Xf grades----would take more time to find all of them. More effort to be put into the set. JMHO Bob [supertooth]

If budget is any kind of limiting factor, then it's going to be Washington quarters by default for a circulated set, say VF. Although the two big keys will cost you $800-ish total, the one big key in the Merc set is going to nail you for $3000-ish - a huge difference! After the two biggies in the Washington series, the other coins fall dramatically in price. There's probably nothing you can't get for $10 or less. I've done both series in this grade, and without a doubt, the quarters are the more doable set. Now, if you throw away the three keys just discussed, then the Mercs suddenly become by far the more doable set.

My 35 cents worth!

James

The Merc series will be much tougher to complete and would be the one I would choose without hesitation if I were to assemble a true VF-EF set. Washington quarters in these grades are incredibly common, even the '32-D, '32-S and somewhat so for the '36-D while the Mercs have many pieces that are tough to find from '16-'27. Obviously, the '16-D will cost you some bucks, perhaps $3,000 or so, but I also believe it is a much better store of value, and has greater liquidity, than the any dates of the Washington set in these grades. Additionally, one finds Washington sets all the time in circulated grades while an attractive Merc set is rare indeed.

No brainer for me.

Okay, thanks! I think I'll go with the Mercs, even though it might mean putting my type set on hold for a few months. Everyone always says to get the keys first. That would mean the 16D, obviously, but which others? Are the 42/1s in the Dansco?

Zach,you can make a collection from coins that are not minted in the 1900's screwy.gif

And you can sell a coin w/o Easy Bakeing it first. screwy.gif

wink.gif

Zach

Of course the '16-D is the biggie, but the '21 and '21-D will cost some dollars, too in VF. If you jump to EF you should be willing to also search long and hard for a nice '25-D and '26-S. As for the overdates, I collect what I believe belongs in a set, and in my opinion overdates are gimmick coins struck from easily recognized die pairs, that's it. It's up to you if you think that that is worth the money or not.

If your heart is set on those 2 series, then go for the mercs. Personally however, I have found that Peace Dollars were tons of fun. Also, they're not extremely expensive, and most can be had for $15-$20. The 1928 can go for a few hundred dollars, but nowhere near the $3,000 for the 16-D. I'm actually starting a second set, and this one I'll take my time on. Make sure to get original coins, and maybe even a matched grade set. So, it's your decision, but I'm just saying there's more out there...

Chad, I've looked at all of the sets in the redbook, to choose which ones. I really like collecting for type, but I like mercury dimes alot and I'd like to see what it's like to do a date set.

Thanks for the help everyone,

Zach

Not a date set, just a regular set. The mercury dime dansco album.

Good luck on the set. 16 D, 21, 21 D, and 41/2 are the biggies. Happy Hunting!!