• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNKNOWN DIE?

4 posts in this topic

It would be really hard for most people to know the difference between die varietys.

or even to buy a coin for it's rarity because of the die used to strike it.

the 1846 tall date halve's are one of my favorites.

there were very few dies used to strike these coins, and to date it appears there were more than most think.

I know of four head dies and 5 tail dies my self.

and now a fifth tail die might be known.

this means that more dies were used or that there may have been several actually just modifided and then it appears there were more dies used.

or some times a die just wears out and it looks like it may be different.

I usually look for signs of a die crack or crumbling dies or even rust filled dies.these can lead you to identifie a different die used to strike a coin.

rob.

192696-Image-04.JPG.63df918ac9aea9ded417ed56e67c4a27.JPG

the first picture is of the WB-108 spiked 4 ms61.

I had to post it this way as I don't know how to add multiple pictures.

this second attachment is of the reverse and it has none of the wiley/bugert, diagnostics for the reverse's known. which would be die lines above the ICA, or evidence of a crumbling die above UNITED.

this is why seated halve's are so fun to collect.

there's so many variety's.

rob.

192700-Image-06.JPG.3abb7fbe29de89ab8d4ac894ccaefe37.JPG

I have poor knowledge on seated half dollers( I don't even know much about my area...half dimes blush.gif), but I know it's fun to collect one series by date and variety...I'm hoping NGC to make a registrey set for seated half doller soon so that I can see your collection acclaim.gif

I had to post it this way as I don't know how to add multiple pictures.

Rob,

Thanks for the post. As for attaching the pics, you can join the obv and rev images either side-by-side or top-bottom so it is now a single image file and then attach it that way.

Also, I'm willing to host your pics for you on my web server if you want. The gesture is free, but my responsiveness isn't as timely as it used to be. Feel free to email me or PM me on this for the next time you need me to host some pics for you. If I don't respond timely, it means I'm out of town or whatever...

EVP