• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

about 'Genuine'

2 posts in this topic

Hello,

I recently bought an NCS slabbed coin that says only 'Genuine'. On the shipping receipt from the place I got it from it says "Genuine-Lo". Can you tell me what that means? Obviously I am not a real 'collector' but I had , a year ago, made an emotional buy from this TV company re a WTC coin and so they called me to 'offer' this one to me. I bought it as foreheadslap.gif a gift for my nephew. It's gold but looks dull like old brass so I'm wondering if I should return it. The phone guy said it was AU and from the GSA hoard in 1930s but it doesn't say anything like that on the slab. Any help or info will be much appreciated. Thank you.

;

A coin in an NCS holder listed as "genuine" has been authenticated just as a coin in an NCS details grade holder, but not given any grading opinion. Typically problems that would prevent a coin from being graded with NGC will not be listed when a coin is submitted for "genuine" only encapsulation unless that surface problem is potentially deceptive such as a hole, repair, or re engraving.

There have been a couple of hoards of coins that have been encapsulated by NCS using the genuine only service. Without any information about the specific coin I would not be able to give you any additional information about the hoard.

The "genuine-lo" sounds like something specific to the dealer you purchased the coin from. It does not mean anything particular to us at NCS. Assuming that your holder has not been tampered with, which is incredibly rare, your coin is a genuine piece.

Chris, NCS