• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What constitutes a "Favorite Coin"

7 posts in this topic

I've seen the term "favorite coin" tossed around some and I've tried to figure out what is my "favorite". Is it beauty of the type? Is it high grade or tone? Is it rarity and the chase to get it? Is it price? Is it ________? I've decided that I like lots of details on a coin. Busy like WLH is attractive to me. But, I do not yet have what I would call a favorite.

What are your insights? What makes your favorite coin, well,,,,, your favorite?

Mine is the one that I most look forward to seeing again. It's also the one that I am most eager to show house visitors. For me, it doesn't have to do with grade/rarity or the like - just how much I want to see it again.

Design, artistic merit, visual appeal, the historical date that is what was happening in the US or world when this coin was minted, character of the coin, preferably an original specimen and finally what I hope is attractive, natural toning. These are elements that constitute my favorite coins.

Mine's the CBH that Winston sent me... I like it becauseit's very original, it's very old, it's slabbed, and its a cool design. I also like it because it was one of the larger purchases I have made for coins.

Favorite coins.... Its simple.... When they have they POP to them . Such as...

ve18651.jpg

Thats one coin I instantly knew was a stunner. I could look at that coin all day long. Victor has great taste in coins.

Regis----An excellent question. To me a favorite coin means this. First, I will probably never sell it. Second, when I look at it I think---nobody else has got one that looks like this one does. Which usually means that the coin is toned in some singular way. And third, that I have succeeded in the hunt----have accomplished a goal---was patient while waiting for this "SPECIAL" coin. And fourth, I now have a coin which is what I call scarce. It does not mean always few in numbers. But it probably means that few are any better for the grade than the one that I am holding. In short, you just sit there and smile---and smile some more. Bob [supertooth]