• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you rather have???

10 posts in this topic

If you had a budget to spend each month and wanted to spend that budget, which best of the best would you get?? Would you go with the best grade of the most common coin in that set or would you pick the rarest coin but settle for the lowest grade?

As a type collector, I'd most likely go after the highest grade. Goose3, on the other hand, has found his niche in obtaining problem-free key dates in lower grades. He has truly influenced my outlook on collecting.

That is pretty much the budget that I try to hold to – one coin/month. I don’t buy the same coin each month though. Sometimes, a really choice, yet common coin catches my interest. Other months I opt for something more rare, but at a lower grade. To me, a heterogeneous collection is more entertaining than a homogeneous one.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Just a thought to throw out there. Why not save for a few months and get a key date in a higher grade? wink.gif

John

Yeah, like you can really control yourself like that. yeahok.gif

Yeah, I'm trying to hold myself to $100 a month on coins, which, now that I'm getting to some of the rarer Peace dollars in my set, I'm probably going to have to go to more of a $200 every 2-months ... if I want to stick with my budget. It all depends upon what you want to get, and if you're content with the lower grades, then buying in volume is better, but if you'd rather have an MS-65 vs an MS-63 and there's a large price jump, then you'll need to save, or find another source of income (which I'm working on ...).

If you are just starting out - and it sounds like you may be - honestly, I would invest most of the first few months of your budget in books, and the balance in CHEAP coins - until you learn what appeals to you. You won't make any money on the cheap stuff, but you may save a whole lot of money going forward.

James