• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What does retail / wholesale mean?

9 posts in this topic

When someone says, "retail at the show was strong" what does it actually mean?

How about "wholesale"? Is it a transaction between dealers? I'm totally clueless.

Wholesale refers to dealer to dealer transactions. Retail refers to sales to the general public or collectors.

TRUTH

Thanks, Mr.Truth.

Is there any term for collectors selling to dealers? Is it part of wholesale?

From a dealer's perspective, it's called a "over the counter" purchase when a collector or the general public sell at a coin shop. Another term is "private party purchase", which means any person, other than a dealer, who sells to a coin dealer whether it be at a store, coin show, etc.

TRUTH

for crazy coins there is only one market

they bring crazy money if selling to the knowledgable advanced collector and/or dealer

you can never overpay for a crazy coin in fact usually you underpay as many sellers be them collectors disinterested third parties or dealers do not know how to price them or do not understand their true value

only buy crazy coins

Actually kinda true , only mostly you are selling and getting under wholesale bid for your coin unless it is one that is in demand and you both know this .

As far as my experience goes , I have gotten some of the most reasonable offers from dealers at the Baltmore shows , the least favorable from the Florida FUN shows and have not been to any West of the Mississippi yet. This seems strange to me as most of the same dealers go to both shows and seem to miraculously change their buying /offering habits.

Do you think they tailor their buying to the local market areas? They still seem to be talkative and friendly , but it is like they are using a whole different set of buy tactics . Is this just me or what do you think?

Actually kinda true , only mostly you are selling and getting under wholesale bid for your coin unless it is one that is in demand and you both know this .

As far as my experience goes , I have gotten some of the most reasonable offers from dealers at the Baltmore shows , the least favorable from the Florida FUN shows and have not been to any West of the Mississippi yet. This seems strange to me as most of the same dealers go to both shows and seem to miraculously change their buying /offering habits.

Do you think they tailor their buying to the local market areas? They still seem to be talkative and friendly , but it is like they are using a whole different set of buy tactics . Is this just me or what do you think?

The Yankee dealers probably feel uncomfortable down south. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

27_laughing.gif