• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Small town great show report

10 posts in this topic

Well the long awaited annual coin show finally came to our small town (since I got back into colecting). 55 dealers and hundreds of people and I was not prepared for what I saw. I had a list of 5 WLH's and 5 Three cent nickles that I wanted preferably raw in VF-30 or better. At the first table there were plenty of Walkers but all newer dates. I first thought my eyes were deceiving me as some labled XF-40 were F-12 or VF-20 at best (thank you Bob, Supertooth). I thought I'd help him correct these grades.....not a good idea! Well, then I thought I should go and look at all the tables before I make any selections. Everybody had Morgans plus varying amounts of other coins. There were lines at many of the tables and when you could get to the dealer they were helpful,,,sort of. Just like any other group of people. In general, I found that of the coins that I can "reasonable" grade, the raw coins were 10-20 points overgraded. One dealer's Walkers were just as I would grade them but, he only had one that I could use. As far as WLH's there were mostly 1941-1947 that were in XF or better. There were not many three cent Nickles and what was there were mostly common 1865-70.

Now there were lots and lots of coins that I know little about, Draped Bust and Flowing Hair dollars and halfs, as well as large cents and tons of IHCs, Mercury dimes, and more. I was supprised by the large number of Kennedys and huge amount of Morgans. There were plenty of new coins but, very few supplies.

I wanted to sit at a table and really go through the what was there but, it was crowded and most knew a lot more than me. And it is difficult to decide which tables and what dose dealer expect when you sit at his table for an hour or so? Before the next show, I need a better plan. It is very overwhelming.

I did buy 4 Walkers as upgrades and 5 Morgans that I didn't have. May go again tomorrow afternoon.

Go tomorrow with a plan and spend as much time there as you need and as you can. A show is a terrific place to learn, but you may take home little if you are overwhelmed.

Regis44, the same is true about Mercury dimes. Try buying them and they're all overgraded. Makes it tough on a collector to complete a set! I can't even recall all of the overgraded Mercs I sent back.

And post some pics thumbsup2.gif

Well, I went back to the show. Sunday at lunch time was not a crowd. Much easier to talk to dealers as they were pretty pleased with Saturday's sales (and apparent purchases).

Here are just a few photos:

Read about commeratives here but didn't own one 'till now

columbian.jpg

I believe I paid 1/2 of typical ebay price for this '37

1937.jpg

Floor layout would not allow me to get much in one photo but, here are just a few floor shots.

stage-1.jpg

wing1.jpg

table1.jpg

table2.jpg

Great experience and enjoyed every bit even though I did not get them main coins I was looking for.

Regis

It appears to me that you purchased one-half dozen red x's, are your image links correct? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Look like my server service is down. foreheadslap.gif

Hopefully will be corrected soon (I did pay my bill)