• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Registry Awards

16 posts in this topic

I'm new to these boards and dont want to get off on the wrong foot, but I have a question about the awards for the registry sets. It appears that both NGC and PCGS registries have certain catagories that have been locked by individuals in the #1 rank for several years. Even advanced collectors have no hope of ever attaining an award in that certain catagory. So I am proposing an idea. What if 2nd and 3rd place awards were given as well. Just a thought.

Sounds kinda greedy to me. If you can't make the best set, you don't really deserve the award. The award is for the best of the best. Don't have the best of the best? Tough nuggets.

Okay well, personally I think it kind of kills the effort when you know that you will never attain the top set or get recognition for the second best. In the Olympic's they award 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Can you imagine if they only awarded medals for first place?

Registry awards are a coveted thing. Too bad if you can't be the best. I'm not the best by any means, and fine with it. If you know for an absolute fact that you can't be the best, too bad. Try harder, or get no award. Plain and simple.

Chad,

I think that you are missing the point I'm trying to convey. This is not about me, this is for everybody. All you have to do is look at the registry and you will see all of the idle sets or sets that are 0% complete. These are people that have given up. And that is not what the registry was designed for. It is supposed to encourage people not discourage. I have recently deleted all of my sets, (at PCGS), for this very reason.

Registry awards aren't everything. You get a little certificate... YAY. You should participate in the registry to show the world your great coins, and have an online database for inventorying your coins. It's not all about being #1.

Many bautiful sets are ranked number 2, 3, or even 30. They're in it to show off their great coins, and not necessarily get recognized by it. Maybe awards should be given to #2 and #3, but then again maybe not. I think it would take away from the #1 award, however.

I don't see any harm in giving awards to the top three sets in heavily populated collecting areas. After all, there are unregistered sets that would blow the doors off of much of what is posted here.

For my 2 cents.

If there are more than 100 registry sets in a catagory I think they should give out 2nd and 3rd.

Nix on the rest of them. Who cares if you are second in a catagory with two entries?

For my 2 cents.

If there are more than 100 registry sets in a catagory I think they should give out 2nd and 3rd.

Nix on the rest of them. Who cares if you are second in a catagory with two entries?

The guy in 2nd? makepoint.gif

I don't see any harm in giving awards to the top three sets in heavily populated collecting areas. After all, there are unregistered sets that would blow the doors off of much of what is posted here.

I agree. But is a first, second or third certificate really worth the possible tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars invested to obtain it?

I have had a few #1 registry sets that were also quite low cost. However on the other extreme, I also had a 55% completed (with all coins AU58 to MS65) Saint set that was 50% MS65 and never was ranked higher than 15th in the registry and cost beaucoup dollars. IMHO, it is all relative. If you really want a #1 set, play in a field that is less competitive (i.e. year-mint sets, one per year sets). In many categories, I feel, that being in the top 10 sets (let alone top 3) is quite an accomplishment. A piece of paper does not change my feelings about these sets. Within my current collecting price range, I am quite proud of my top 10 set efforts.