• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So who is going to pre-order the San Francisco Old Mint Silver Dollars?

12 posts in this topic

Who's going to be getting themselves a San Francisco Old Mint Commemorative tomorrow? I'm honestly not too crazy about the design, although seeing the Morgan dollar reverse in proof might be cool.

Silver proofs at $35.00 pre-issue price until 10/17, when they go up to $39.00

Silver uncircs $33 / $35

1352316-SC1_popup.jpg

Think this one will take off in price?

The 2006 United States Mint American Legacy Collection is also up for sale tomorrow. In addition to proof versions of all United States Mint 2006-dated circulating coins, this set also includes proof versions of the Benjamin Franklin Founding Father Silver Dollar and the San Francisco Old Mint Silver Dollar. This one runs $135.00. Considering that a Standard Proof Set is $22.95 and the SFOM Silver Dollar is $35.00, it seems the Mint is finally making their ~$80 per Franklin dollar. foreheadslap.gif

1352316-SC1_popup.jpg.95ace6a13c81fefc2f798d5a829d92a9.jpg

I want the Legacy set.... I know the price is up there , and the holder is just a fancy colored cardboard box , but I like the way it is set up and the coins in last year's Legacy set were all top-shelf quality ....so I'm hoping they will put top-notch coins in this years Legacy set as well (duh, I know -they're supposed to put top coins out, but...) .

I most likely will buy the SF silver dollars , 1 ea , but mostly due to the surcharges going to a good cause .

I must admit I like the way these designs ultimately turned out, especially given the Marx Brothers nature of the process in which the Board of the intended beneficiary wasn't consulted on the original designs, and those designs proposed to place the entity being commemorated (namely, the old San Francisco Mint) on the REverse of both coins.

I'm particularly pleased that the final designs employ denticles both obverse and reverse, as opposed to reverse only, which in my opinion would have resulted in a goofy asymmetry. I'm also really looking forward to seeing what a Morgan dollar (or the reverse of one at least) looks like in 70 grade... grin.gif

Hey, it's a picture of a building. How exciting could that be? But I still think they'll be handsome coins in hand, and seeing the two classic reverses produced to perfection should be quite cool. I'm in.

Beijim

Well I ordered three ad two of the American Legacy to go with the two 2005 Legacy I have.

I also think the Legacy is priced to high but hope in 20 years my kids get a good return on them think I am to old to see one myself.

Thhin the mint has been overcharging for proof sets for years now just hope the price will keep going up with some of these.

With just 50,000 of the legacy made and 500,000 of the San Francisco Silver made you would think the Legacy will be worth more but who knows.

I was going to get wo of the gold San Francisco but not sure will think on that. Just 8.50 inches and 8.5 something grams not much gold and pretty small.

I was going to get wo of the gold San Francisco but not sure will think on that. Just 8.50 inches and 8.5 something grams not much gold and pretty small.

0.241875 oz. of pure gold in each (gold price peg at $20.67/oz = $5 face value).