• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Color reference on photo's

10 posts in this topic

Hays or others in the photo or graphic industry.

Do you know of good and recognizable color or colors (besides white) that we could use as background for coin photo's so that people could compare what they are seeing to "known" color. We could leave a perimeter on the photo as a reference. That would at least "help" to re-assure wysiwyg.

Your thoughts??

tx,

Regis

It's a nice idea, but if someone wanted to adjust the colors on the coin only then they would create a mask of the coin and alter it before superimposing it onto the color standard.

The standard is an 18% reflectance gray card - Kodak or Macbeth. Use as the background on which coin is placed and give it identical lighting as coin. However, you may not like the results if you hold all coin images to this standard.

I would have been able to answer this question before the days of digital

cameras. It was easier with film because 90% of all cameras were loaded

with Kodak’s Kodachrome so color values didn’t vary much from camera

to camera. That’s not true today. Most manufactures today use

different technologies to capture images - they save these images as similar

files but the capturing process is different. I’m not a photographer (you can

tell from my own photos) but my advice is to use a camera with a large lens.

The compact digital cameras are great for snapshots but have smaller

lenses. Smaller lens means less light gets in. I would also suggest to use

as much natural light as possible - at the very least stay away from

florescent lights.

A neutral background is usually best, but as Tom pointed out it is easy

to manipulate any photo.

I have two cameras - unfortunately both are point and shoot digitals. One is a

6 Mega pixel Cannon, the other is a 3.2 Mega pixel Fujifilm. I’ve found the

Fujifilm produces better close-up photos - probably because it has a much

larger lens. However, the Cannon captures colors that are more natural

looking. It’s a little frustrating to say the least.

In the end unless we are using the same type cameras with the same lighting

set-up I don’t think the background is going to make that much of a difference. frown.gif

We'll just keep trying to get photos of how the coins look in hand I guess.

Hays

I knew that masking could be used by truely dishonest people but, I was looking for ideas for the rest of us. There are many reds, blues, browns, etc. But, if you lean a coin against a can of Coke and the white & red look like the can in your refrigerator then you are probably seeing the coins color. BUT, if the coke can looks red-brown and grey, the color of the coin is very different than appears on your screen. I don't think a coke will work because of size but, was hoping someone had an idea that accomplished the same end.

Thank all,

Regis

The 18% gray card is the photographic standard and is really the best reference for this purpose. Any unaltered photo that has 18% gray in it can be properly color and exposure balanced on any computer using image software that has a white balance or color balance feature.

The real problem, though, is monitor calibration. Even with a properly color balanced image, a given color value will likely look a little different on your computer than it does on mine. This is because monitors have different, nonlinear responses to the same color value inputs. They need to be calibrated in order to render the precise color intended by the image's creator.

While it's possible to use the operating system's color management feature to achieve such calibration, it probably isn't worth the effort. If you're using a digital flat panel or are reasonably careful in adjusting your CRT monitor, images should display closely enough to their intended colors for practical purposes.

Beijim

The standard is an 18% reflectance gray card - Kodak or Macbeth. Use as the background on which coin is placed and give it identical lighting as coin. However, you may not like the results if you hold all coin images to this standard.

ditto,I just shoot the coin and then adjust the image blush.gif